Is It Safe to Diffuse Essential Oils Around Pets?
As EO users, essential oil safety is incredibly important especially when it comes to pets. We’ve discussed safe essential oil use with pets in the past but want to address EO safety more specifically when it comes to diffusion.
With a sense of smell 10,000 to 100,000 times more acute than human’s, animals are more affected by essential oil diffusion than one might think. What this means is that diffusing 10-15 drops of EO in your Ultrasonic Diffuser is like diffusing 100,000 drops of EO or more to your pets.
Does this mean you should stop diffusing around pets altogether? Some animals, such as cats, cannot metabolize essential oils the same way humans and other animals do, whereas animals such as livestock and dogs can benefit from safe diffusion. To help guide you into a safer aromatherapy experience for your animals, we’ve listed some essential safety tips below:
- Pregnant/nursing animals
Diffuse with caution around:
- Small animals & dogs
- Young animals
- Rodents/small mammals
- Keep your diffuser out of reach of animals
- Diffuse in a well-ventilated area
- Ensure your animals have the ability to remove themselves from the area of diffusion (leave doors opened)
- If an adverse reaction occurs, discontinue use and seek medical attention from a veterinarian
- Diffuse for 10-15 minutes intermittently
This article was inspired by Kelly Holland Azzaro’s years of research in the field of animal aromatherapy. To learn more about animal aromatherapy, please visit her website or Facebook page, Animal Aromatherapy (Safe Use).