The clean and sweet aroma of Clary Sage essential oil make it ideal for elegant perfumes. For years, Clary Sage oil was almost exclusively used as a lovely fragrance for upper class ladies.
Now, we know that Clary Sage has many other brilliant qualities beyond its herbaceous aroma. Women are treated especially well by Clary Sage.
Clary Sage essential oil with its muscatel – grape like – aromas is used to formulate the flavorings for vermouths, wines, and liqueurs with its lovely tea-like undertones. When used in aromatherapy, Clary Sage essential oil can be used to help with relaxation, sleep and more.
Native to Europe, Clary Sage plants grow to about 3 feet in height and produce pink, white or blue flowers, the most fragrant and resinous part of the plant.
The plant’s leaves and the flowers are put through steam distillation to extract the essential oil. Edens Garden’s Clary Sage is the finest quality obtainable anywhere; exceptionally exquisite and clean.
Not sure which Sage is right for you? Check out our blog on the differences here!
Botanical Name: Salvia sclarea
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Leaves/Flowers
Blends Well With: Rose, and other florals
Aroma: Sweet, herbaceous, clean, and likened to earl grey tea
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 3-5 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Due to its content of sclareol, Clary sage, known by its Latin name Salvia sclarea, has capability in helping with the action of female hormones. Some women have reported that this oil has affected their hormones during times of menstruation and during labor by improving contractions of the uterus. During menses, it may increase bleeding and bring on a heavy cycle. Its content of linalyl acetate is a natural analgesic, as well as an antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory both of which can ease pain and discomfort associated with menses. It also has been touted as summoning affection especially blended with a small amount of Ylang Ylang. And lastly, It also has potential in relieving hot flashes during menopause.
- Edens Garden does not recommend ingesting essential oils but recommends instead to use them topically, with a diffuser or steam inhaled. If you desire to ingest the oils we highly suggest using them only under the supervision of a certified aromatherapist and/or physician. The safest way recommended by trained aromatherapists is by creating a capsule by combining 1 drop of essential oil and topping the veggie capsule off with an edible carrier oil such as olive oil. Always take extreme caution when ingesting essential oils since essential oils are extremely potent and concentrated and can cause burns on the esophagus and ulcers in the digestive tract.
- Try blending Clary Sage into a belly massage oil to relieve pain associated with menses although, please keep in mind that Clary sage may increase bleeding during this time of the month. In the same massage oil form try gently massaging it onto the lower abdomen and low back during birth to bring on and improve labor contractions. Blended into a 1 oz carrier oil in a 3:1 ratio with Ylang Ylang can help stir passionate feelings with your partner - try using 9 drops Clary Sage with 3 drops of Ylang Ylang.
- We highly recommend using Clary sage in blends for topical treatments such as in a massage oil blended with a carrier oil or unscented cream. It can also be diffused in blends to enhance its anti-anxiety effects and boost mood with citrus and other floral oils. It is truly a woman's oil with strengths that has potential for improving endocrine and hormonal balance.
- Clary Sage blends well with oils that share some of its same components and enhance the anti-anxiety effects of the oils such as Lavender and Bergamot. To uplift mood, try blending it with other citrus oils such as Sweet Orange and for the purpose of calming the mind and improving mental clarity and focus try it with base oils such as Sandalwood.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply Clary Sage essential oil to the skin, dilute with one of our high-quality Carrier Oils , such as Coconut oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite Clary Sage essential oil blends using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
TUMMY MASSAGE: Suffering from menstrual cramps? Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle 4 drops of Clary Sage, 3 drops of Ginger, 4 drops of Peppermint and 9 drops of Sweet Orange, then fill with Sweet Almond oil and shake to mix well. Apply a teaspoon of the massage oil over the abdomen and massage. (1.7% dilution)
CHEER: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Clary Sage, 5 drops of Lime and 5 drops of Lemon. Or add 5-6 drops of this diffuser blend to your diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
BATH SALTS: Combine 2 drops of Clary Sage, 2 drops of Lavender, 1 drop of Frankincense (Carterii) and 2 drops of Frankincense (Serrata) with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Stir together and add to a full bath for a relaxing soak.
INHALE AND RELEASE: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Clary Sage, 2 drops of Ylang Ylang and 5 drops of Mandarin. Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your Scent Ball Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
SLEEP TIME BATH: To create the perfect essential oil blend for a relaxing bath, add the following to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 7 drops of Clary Sage, 5 drops of Geranium, 5 drops of Sweet Marjoram and 3 drops of Cardamom, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake to mix well. Apply enough to cover the abdomen and massage in gently before slipping into a relaxing bath. (1.7% dilution)
More from the blog: