Magnolia’s aroma is complex and reminiscent of sweet things like sparkling champagne, a bouquet of flowers or freshly picked fruit. It’s basically heaven in a bottle.
Therapeutically, Magnolia is said to increase circulation, act as a sedative, benefit the skin and relax both the mind and body. It makes an amazing all-natural perfume that is sure to attract compliments. The flower of the Magnolia plant is steam distilled.
Botanical Name: Magnolia × alba
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flower
Blends Well With: Florals such as Jasmine and citruses such as Bergamot
Aroma: Sugary, champagne-like, floral and slightly herbal
Consistency: Medium- Thick
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 2-3 years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Magnolia essential oil is made via steam distillation. In steam distillation, plant material is placed in a still, water is added, then heat is applied to the unit. As water heats, plants release their essential oil, the oil rises with steam droplets that are sucked into a pipe and the oil and water are then separated. While it may not be possible to make Magnolia essential oil at home, you can make aromatic hydrosol water that contains many of the same therapeutic benefits as essential oil. Click here for instructions on how to make your own hydrosol.
- Magnolia essential oil has a somewhat exotic and sublime aroma that is sweet and fruity. The oil is cultivated in China and made by steam distilling the flowers. It’s a middle note and in a blend the aroma emerges after the top notes evaporate, giving a blend its fullness and body which is sometimes considered the heart of the blend. The soft floral aromatics are fresh and uplifting which help to relieve symptoms of anxiety and lead an opening for relaxation.
- Magnolia carries a chemical makeup of approximately 65% linalool giving it a leg up when it comes to issues of the skin helping to reduce skin irritation and inflammation such as redness and puffiness leaving the skin luminous as it moisturizes. Its uplifting aroma can help to relieve symptoms of anxiety and lead an opening for relaxation. Other therapeutic benefits are increased circulation which can help PMS symptoms and sedative actions which can promote and regulate sleep. It also may support a blend for those with respiratory issues that may arise from allergies.
- Magnolia is a safe oil to use for kids over the age of 2. When using this oil with young children, it is recommended to use in blends at very low dilutions. To understand more about how to dilute essential oils with children, please refer to our dilution guide and you can read more about our OK For Kids line.
- Magnolia blends easily with floral oils for a luxurious perfume or for inflamed skin blends such as Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Melissa and Neroli. Citrus oils can complement its floral exotic aromatic and add a bit of liveliness such as Bergamot, Lemon, Grapefruit and Wild Orange. Base notes will help fix the aroma of a blend and wood oils would compliment the florals such as Sandalwood and Vetiver.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
UPLIFT: Diffuse Magnolia in the ceramic bloom diffuser to brighten the atmosphere.
PERFUME: Add 10 drops Magnolia, 5 drops Buddha Wood, 10 drops Clary Sage and 15 drops Yuzu to 2.5 oz of 150-190 proof grain alcohol (190 proof), then add to 1 oz of distilled water in an amber glass spray bottle. Shake and spray onto pulse points.
INHALATION: Put one drop Magnolia and one drop Helichrysum Gymnocephalum in a bowl of steaming water. Cover your head and bowl with a towel to keep the steam in. Inhale through your nose, with eyes closed. Breathe in the vapors for five minutes, or as desired.
MOISTURIZING: Combine 5 drops Magnolia, 5 drops Cistus and 5 drops Neroli in 1 oz Hemp and 2 oz Evening Primrose. Apply a small amount to the face as a morning and nightly moisturizer. Store in a 3 oz amber glass jar.
More from the blog: