Most describe Nootka Tree as having a pencil shaving or gasoline-like aroma. Its complex, rich aroma adds a unique component to masculine and earthy blends. Today, Nootka Tree is trending as a natural alternative to insect repellent and as a source of antioxidants.
To extract the essential oil, the wood is steam distilled. Nootka Tree blends amazingly well with Patchouli, Bergamot, Cardamom and Mandarin. Try making your own signature diffuser blend with Nootka Tree’s unique aroma.
Botanical Name: Cupressus nootkatensis
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Wood
Note: Middle- Base
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Cardamom, Cistus, Mandarin, Silver Fir
Aroma: Pencil shavings, gasoline-like, sharp, woody
Consistency: Medium- Thick
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 2 years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Most describe Nootka Tree as having a pencil-shaving or gasoline-like aroma. Its complex, rich aroma adds a unique component to masculine and earthy blends. To extract the essential oil, the wood is steam distilled. Nootka Tree blends amazingly well with Patchouli, Bergamot, Cardamom and Mandarin. Try making your own signature diffuser blend with Nootka Tree’s unique aroma or experience it in our Bug Bite Relief essential oil blend.
- Nootka Tree essential oil (Cupressus nootkatensis) is enjoyed for its earthy, forest-like aroma and medicinal qualities. Throughout history, it's been used as a repellant for biting insects such as ticks. Today, its often employed for its ability to boost mood, promote clarity, reduce stress, manage fatigue and support the respiratory system. To use Nootka Tree effectively, diffuse it by adding 10 drops per 100 ml of water in an essential oil diffuser. Alternatively, dilute it to 2% by combining 12 drops Nootka Tree and 1 oz carrier oil and apply it topically to pulse points.
- Nootka Tree essential oil is a protective oil that works wonderfully when diluted and applied topically before going outdoors. For this reason, it was formulated into our Bug Bite Relief essential oil blend. To use Nootka Tree outdoors, dilute it by combining 1 oz Fractionated Coconut oil and 12 drops Nootka Tree. Apply it to exposed skin. Alternatively, create a spray by combining 40 drops Nootka Tree and 1 oz 190-proof grain alcohol in a 4 oz glass spray bottle. Let sit for a few hours before adding 3 oz distilled water. Shake gently to combine and spray onto clothing and exposed skin, avoiding the eyes.
- Nootka Tree essential oil is made via steam distillation. In steam distillation, plant material is placed in a still, water is added, then heat is applied to the unit. As the water heats, plants release their essential oil, the oil rises with steam droplets that are sucked into a pipe and the oil and water are then separated. While it may not be possible to make Nootka Tree essential oil at home, you can make aromatic hydrosol water that contains many of the same therapeutic benefits as an essential oil. Click here for instructions on how to make your own hydrosol.
- Choosing not to dilute essential oils is called using them “neat.” Using oils neat or at a higher-than-necessary dilution rate (over 11%) can lead to a skin reaction or sensitization, irritation and other health issues. For this reason, diluting essential oils prior to topical use is always recommended. If you’re using essential oil for body massage or creating a DIY lotion, dilute at a 2-3% ratio or 12-18 drops of essential oil in 1 oz of carrier oil. A 1% dilution is recommended for young kids, pregnant women, people with sensitivities and for bath and facial use. 1% equals 6 drops of essential oil in 1 oz of carrier oil. We find it’s best to dilute essential oils in amber glass bottles that can be easily accessed when needed.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
INSECTS: Add 3 drops Nootka Tree, 1 drops Citronella and 1 drop Catnip in a roll-on bottle. Top off with Apricot Kernel carrier oil. Apply to pulse points.
INHALATION: To a personal inhaler, add 5 drops Nootka Tree, 3 drops Yuzu and 2 drops Cedarwood Atlas. Inhale throughout the day.
COLOGNE: Combine 8 drops Nootka Tree, 12 drops Blue Cypress, 10 drops Bergamot and 10 drops Petitgrain in 2.5 oz grain alcohol and 1 oz distilled water in an amber glass spray bottle. Shake and spray onto pulse points.
GARDENER’S HAND SALVE: Melt 1 oz beeswax. Add in 2 oz Prickly Pear carrier oil, 5 drops Nootka Tree, 5 drops Pine, 10 drops Lavender Greek and 10 drops Sandalwood Hawaiian. Pour into 4 oz tin, and allow to cool. Scoop out a small amount and apply to hands.
More from the blog: