We hope you find a way to sneak a little relaxation into your day, whether it be snuggling up in bed for a few extra minutes in the morning or laughing with a friend. Spearmint is the essential oil that can help you steal those little moments of calm back as it gently uplifts with a minty and bright aroma. Often confused with Peppermint, Spearmint is cooling and more nuanced.
For thousands of the years, Spearmint’s medicinal and therapeutic properties have been explored. The Ancient Greeks used it to restore the body while adding a lovely fragrance to their bathwater. When diluted with a carrier oil, it can work as a powerful decongestant.
A hardy branched herb that produces bright green leaves, Spearmint also sprouts colored flowers and slender cylindrical spikes. The flowering herbs are put through a steam distillation process to extract the oil, which can add a minty note to floral essential oil blend. A number of Edens Garden's synergy blends include Spearmint.
Botanical Name: Mentha spicata
Type: 60-70% L Carvone
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flowering Herbs
Note: Middle - Top
Blends Well With: Peppermint, and other mints; Ylang Ylang, and other florals
Aroma: Minty, fresh, bright, and slightly-camphorous
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Adult Max Dilution: 1.75%
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Along with offering a minty, refreshing aroma, Spearmint essential oil (Mentha spicata) is a great selection if you’re looking for an oil that offers multiple benefits. Diffused, it offers respiratory support, cough aid, headache help, mood-boosting properties and stress relief. It also works to energize and reduce feelings of fatigue. Diluted and applied topically. Spearmint soothes muscles and inflammation and aids discomfort in joints. Effective for both adults and children, Spearmint essential oil is highlighted in our Tummy Aid and Study Buddy blends.
- Animals such as dogs metabolize essential oils very differently than humans. And with a sense of smell 10,000 to 100,000 times more acute than humans, animals are more affected by essential oil diffusion than one might think. With that said, due to Spearmint essential oil’s many precautions toward dogs, we don’t recommend using this oil around your dog. If you’ve already used Spearmint essential oil around your dog and if you notice behavioral differences, such as whining, scratching or acting loopy, move your dog to fresh air and contact your veterinarian. If you wish to use Spearmint essential oil without affecting your dog, inhale it using an Essential Oil Inhaler and Mio Mist Diffuser or use it topically.
- There are several ways to effectively use Spearmint essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use. 3.) Create a spray by combining 20 drops Spearmint and 1 tablespoon 190-proof grain alcohol in a glass spray bottle. After a few hours, add 3 tablespoons of distilled water. Spray onto surfaces and in the air to refresh your space.
- Essential oils are powerful, concentrated substances so a little goes a long way. Two of the most effective ways to use them is by way of inhalation and topical use. Eating Spearmint essential oil is rarely necessary or recommended, no matter the brand. Essential oil ingestion can lead to adverse reactions such as medication contraindications, mucous membrane irritation, sensitization and nausea if done incorrectly. Therefore, if you wish to eat essential oils, we strongly recommend consulting with a knowledgeable professional with experience in internal use.
- The most common hormonal imbalance in young and middle-aged women, PCOS is a condition many seek treatment for. Luckily, a 2017 study on subjects with PCOS determined that Spearmint essential oil has the potential to allay PCOS by inhibiting testosterone and boosting follicular development. This cooling oil is also the perfect remedy when experiencing hot flashes. To create a blend that supports symptoms of PCOS, combine 5 drops Rose Absolute, 4 drops Clary Sage, 3 drops Neroli, 3 drops Geranium, 3 drops Spearmint and 2 tablespoons of carrier oil. Apply to the clavicle, abdomen, arms or where needed, twice daily. Alternatively, skip the carrier oil and diffuse this blend intermittently using an essential oil diffuser.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
INHALATION: Add the following to an amber glass bottle: 15 drops of Spearmint, 20 drops of Eucalyptus (Radiata), 15 drops of Tea Tree and 10 drops of Rosemary then shake well to mix. Fill a bowl with steamy water; add to the bowl 2 drops of the essential oil mixture, covering your head and bowl with a towel to keep the steam in. Inhale through your nose, with eyes closed. Breathe in the vapors for several minutes, or as desired.
SHAMPOO: Add to 1 tablespoon of your shampoo: 1 drop of Spearmint and 2 drops of Tea Tree. Massage well into the scalp; rinse well before using conditioner.
TUMMY BLEND: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 4 drops of Spearmint, 4 drops of Ginger, 3 drops of Lavender and 9 drops of Mandarin, then fill with Sweet Almond oil and shake well to mix. Apply a teaspoon over the abdomen and massage. (1.7% dilution)
SPORTS MASSAGE: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 8 drops of Spearmint, 2 drops of Lavender, 5 drops of Frankincense and 5 drops of Rosemary, then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Massage into sore muscles. (1.7% dilution)
More from the blog: