Take a sensory journey to the heart of old Hollywood glamour or a Parisian outdoor café with Edens Garden's Cognac essential oil. This isn't just an oil—it's an experience, offering evocative and romantic images at every whiff. Treasured by top natural perfumers worldwide, Cognac essential oil boasts a complex aroma profile that blends tartness, muscatel fruitiness, and an earthy richness reminiscent of fine wine or liqueur.
Hailing from the town of Cognac in France and the Mediterranean, Cognac essential oil is extracted from the Vitis vinifera vine, known for sprouting over 5,000 varieties of grapes. The oil is produced from wine precipitate, known as "lees," and extracted via steam distillation. When used in blends, it lifts and modifies notes in perfume formulas, providing a solid base for lighter, sweeter essences. It's this unique quality that makes Cognac essential oil a specialty addition to your fragrance collection.
Incorporating Cognac essential oil into your everyday life is simple and rewarding. Add a few drops to your diffuser for an aromatic escape, or blend with other oils to create your signature scent. You can also use it in DIY skincare recipes but remember to perform a patch test before topical use. With its distinct nuances and ability to enhance your favorite fragrances, Cognac essential oil is a luxurious addition to any essential oil repertoire. Discover the allure of Cognac today—your senses will thank you!
Botanical Name: Vitis vinifera
Chemotype / Variety: Green
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Wine Lees
Aroma: Complex, and green with notes of fruity-tartness
Note: Middle - Base
Blends Well With: Vanilla; Lavender, and other florals
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 3-5 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Vitis vinifera, Cognac essential oil, is a very special essential oil that is derived from a leftover sediment in the oak barrels where the wine Cognac has been aged. The sediment or by product is called ‘lees’ and is the special element leftover in the barrel that is steam distilled to make the essential oil. Edens Garden Cognac essential oil comes from France and the oil is green with a thin consistency and is a middle-base note. It blends well with Vanilla, Lavender and other floral oils.
- There are not many reliable research studies online in regard to the use of Cognac essential oil. However, it has been touted as having an ability to support wellness specifically with the heart. It can uplift mood while offering a sense of relaxation and acts as an antioxidant. Its main components are ethyl-decanoate and ethyl dodecanoate which are fatty acid esters that arise during the process of wine fermentation. These components are used often to enhance the fragrance of soap, candle making, perfumes and colognes as well as foods.
- The wine lees used to make Cognac is the leftover material left in oak bottles from aging the wine. As you can imagine the oil imparts a complex aroma of dry wine that is somewhat tart with hints of grapes and green apple. It has a lot of chutzpah in its spicy intensity with somewhat of an herbaceous twist. The aromatics of the oak barrels give a subtle spice giving it a woody - musky bend.
- There are several ways to effectively use Cognac essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use. 3.) Create a spray by combining 20 drops Cognac and 1 tablespoon 190-proof grain alcohol in a glass spray bottle. After a few hours, add 3 tablespoons of distilled water. Spray onto surfaces and in the air to refresh your space.
- Cognac essential oil is made by a process of steam distillation. During this process the ‘lees’, also known as the leftovers or sediment left in the oak barrels during the process of aging wine, removes any alcohol present at the beginning of the process while it acquires the aromatics of the product to make the essential oil.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
COGNAC SUGAR SCRUB: To exfoliate the skin and smooth the appearance, mix together: 3 drops of Cognac, 2 drops of Cocoa, 3 drops of Frankincense and 2 drops of Orange. Add ½ cup of granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of Jojoba and 1/4 cup of Sweet Almond oils. Stir to mix well. Use as a last step in the shower, on wet skin, using a spoon to scoop out. Gently massage 1 tablespoon at a time over the entire body. Rinse and blot skin dry to seal in moisture; revel in the aroma left on your skin and start your day with a boost. Avoid getting scrub wet to prevent contamination. (.4% dilution)
BODY LOTION: Add 5 drops of Cognac, 3 drops of Vanilla Oleoresin, 1 drop of Ylang Ylang and 2 drops of Cocoa to one ounce of unscented body lotion. Shake well before indulging in a luxurious experience.
More from the blog: