Eucalyptus- Globulus essential oil is layered with refreshing properties. Eucalyptus oil has a minty, vibrant and refreshing aroma that is a common ingredient in cold care products, chest salves and inhalants to help clear breathing and relieve cold symptoms such as sore throat or cough. Often used in aromatherapy to calm and relax, Eucalyptus essential oil has a cooling, invigorating and soothing effect.
Distilled from the leaves of the Eucalyptus tree, Eucalyptus essential oil has a fresh, penetrating aroma and is a common ingredient in salves and chest rubs. Purifying, invigorating and cooling, Eucalyptus extract has been found in these and other such products for over 100 years.
There are more than 700 different species of Eucalyptus trees and over 500 produce a specific type of essential oil. The tall evergreen trees produce bluish oval Eucalyptus leaves and the bark is often covered in a soft white powder.
The essential oil is extracted from the leaves through steam distillation. EG's Eucalyptus- Globulus is derived from the “Blue Gum” Eucalyptus native to Australia and is especially pure, potent and alive.
Not sure which Eucalyptus is right for you? Check out our blog on the differences here!
**Euro droppers are not included with 4 oz bottles**
Botanical Name: Eucalyptus globulus
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Leaves
Blends Well With: Coriander, and other spices
Aroma: Camphorous, medicinal, fresh, clean, and bright
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
Do not apply to or near the face of infants or children.
Adult Max Dilution: 20%
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Eucalyptus Globulus is a very powerful and potent essential oil that is most often used for its antiseptic properties - meaning it’s great at fighting against microbial growth. Its strongest affinity is for the respiratory system, which means diffusing this essential oil can be highly effective! To do this, simply add 3-5 drops of Eucalyptus Globulus essential oil to your water-based essential oil diffuser and diffuse for up to 1 hour at a time.
- You can also use this essential oil topically by diluting one drop of essential oil in one teaspoon of carrier oil (such as Avocado oil) and massaging it onto your neck and lymph nodes. This helps support your immune system by targeting the points of interest, such as your lymphatic system. We always suggest diluting essential oils because essential oils may cause skin sensitivity.
- Another way to use Eucalyptus Globulus is by creating a roller-on. To do so, take a 10 ml roll-on bottle, add 10 drops of Eucalyptus Globulus essential oil and fill the rest of the roller bottle with a carrier oil (such as Avocado oil). Roll the blend across your forehead, temples, back of the neck, and on your lymph nodes to awaken the senses and support healthy breathing.
- This essential oil contains high levels of 1,8 cineole, so avoid using it around infants and young children under the age of 10.
- Eucalyptus Globulus, also commonly called Eucalyptus Blue Gum, is a large tree that is most commonly grown and harvested in Australia and Southern Africa. It is produced from eucalyptus leaves using a common essential oil extraction method called steam distillation. Eucalyptus oil has a strong affinity for supporting healthy airways and clear breathing. It also helps support mental clarity and has been observed to clear a foggy and distracted mind. It is also wonderful for aiding in achy muscles, poor circulation and diarrhea caused by viral infections. It has uplifting and refreshing properties and has been known to help with cognitive disabilities. It is very effective in a diffuser, especially when combined with other oils like Tea Tree oil, Lemon, and Peppermint./
- Eucalyptus Globulus may be taken internally, but only under the direct supervision of a professional certified aromatherapist. Tisserand & Young recommend for adults no more than 600mg daily oral dose. Essential oils are very potent and should not be taken internally long-term. Eucalyptus Globulus should never be used internally with infants and young children under the age of 10. Many essential oils may cause interactions and interferences with other medications, so always consult a physician and professional certified aromatherapist before taking essential oils internally.
- Due to its high 1,8-cineole content, Eucalyptus Globulus is not recommended to use around dogs. Dogs have heightened sensitivities to smells, and with Eucalyptus being a very potent essential oil, it is best to avoid extensive use. Breathing problems, dizziness, and vomiting may occur if this essential oil is used directly on or around the nose or face of a dog. However, every dog's breed and size is different - each dog may react slightly differently to essential oils, especially when diffused in large open spaces or small, confined spaces. We always recommend diffusing essential oils in large, unconfined, open spaces around pets and animals. Speak with a veterinarian and professional certified aromatherapist if you have concerns about your specific pet before use.
- Cats are highly sensitive to chemical constituents in essential oils called phenols - this is because their livers actually absorb and metabolize nutrients differently than ours. According to multiple clinical studies conducted by veterinarians, a small number of phenols can be so concentrated that they can prove toxic to cats. Since Eucalyptus contains a large concentration of phenols, it is, unfortunately, unsafe for cats. If you are looking to diffuse cat-safe essential oils we suggest trying Cedarwood-Virginian and Frankincense-Carterii as alternative essential oils. Each of these oils contains calming and antimicrobial properties similar to Eucalyptus Globulus.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils Collection and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
LINIMENT: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 6 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus), 5 drops of Helichrysum, 4 drops of Peppermint and 5 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake to mix well. Apply enough of this mixture to cover the affected area and massage into the skin. (1.7% dilution)
BATH SALTS: Combine: 5 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus) and 3 drops of Lavender oil with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Stir together and add to a full bath for a relaxing muscle soak.
UPLIFT: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus), 5 drops of Rosemary and 5 drops of Peppermint.
INHALATION: Add the following to a 5 ml amber glass bottle: 40 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus), 35 drops of Tea Tree oil, 15 drops of Peppermint and 10 drops of Fir Balsam, then shake to mix well. Add to the bowl 2 drops of the essential oil mixture. Place your head over a bowl of steamy water, covering your head and bowl with a towel to keep the steam in. Inhale through your nose, with eyes closed; breathe in the vapors for several minutes. Or add Eucalyptus Globulus to your Thera Lux Nebulizing Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
OILY SKIN: Add to a 2 ounce bottle: 3 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus), 2 drops of Orange, 2 drops of Geranium, 3 drops of Lavender (Bulgarian or French) and 2 ounces of witch hazel. Shake well before every use. Apply to a cotton ball and wipe across oily areas of the face as needed. (1% dilution)
CLEANING SPRAY: To an 8 ounce spray bottle add: 25 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus), 40 drops of Lemon and 30 drops of Tea Tree, then fill with 3/4 distilled water and 1/4 grain alcohol. Shake well before each use.
INSECT POTPOURRI: Place 2 cups of dried flowers or potpourri in a decorative bowl. Sprinkle: 10-15 drops of Eucalyptus (Globulus) over the dried flowers. Place in an area where you want to ward off pests.
More from the blog: