Free shipping on all orders in the US!
The harmonious carrier oil of Evening Primrose is a balancing and grounding addition to blends when the body needs a gentle push back toward homeostasis. It is particularly useful for women.
Soothing, astringent, and rejuvenating, Evening Primrose oil is a great addition to mature skin preparations as well as applications assisting in women’s holistic wellness. The high nutrient content makes Evening Primrose a richly nourishing option for a variety of formulations.
Botanical Name: Oenothera biennis
Method: Cold Pressed
Aroma: Evening Primrose has a very faint aroma with light notes of sweetness
Consistency: Typical and characteristic of carrier oils
Color: Pale yellow to golden yellow
Absorption: Evening Primrose will leave a smooth sheen on the skin
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Shelf Life: 6 Months - 1 Year
- Evening Primrose oil has many body care benefits due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Used for body care and recommended for all skin types, it can improve acne, dry skin conditions and reduce redness and irritation associated with eczema and psoriasis. Its content of Gamma Linloleic Acids can potentially also reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. According to WebMD, Evening Primrose oil has also been shown to help relieve hot flashes in menopausal women, including their severity, frequency, and duration.
- Considering that some studies have found that Evening Primrose oil taken internally can encourage a softening of the cervix and encourage it to dilate, it is not recommended until the late stages of pregnancy. Once you have reached the end of the third trimester, you can begin taking capsules at 38 weeks of pregnancy. It must also be noted that some people have reported headaches and upset stomachs after taking primrose oil. On the other hand, using a small amount of Evening Primrose oil topically on the face is not contraindicated and safe for external use.
- Although more studies are needed to confirm certain findings, many midwives recommend evening primrose oil supplements for late-term births to induce labor naturally. Evening Primrose oil has been shown in some studies to reduce the length of the first stage of labor, improve Bishop score and soften and encourage dilation of the cervix and encourage it to dilate and jumpstart labor.
- Like many other plant oils filled with Gamma linoleic acid and other essential fatty acids, Evening Primrose oil contains arachidonic acid which has been shown in studies to stimulate new hair growth in hair care applications as well as help hair grow longer, stronger and with more vitality, improving dry brittle hair conditions as a natural hair conditioner. To use, massage a small amount into the fingertips and lightly apply to hair strands and to the scalp. Brush into hair with a wooden comb to spread it evenly over hair.
- Evening Primrose oil is an excellent topical oil to use in cosmetic applications for healthy skin. When applied directly to the skin as a massage oil, it can add hydration and is noted for its ability to inhibit acne outbreaks. To use it properly, massage 2-3 drops of Evening Primrose oil directly onto acne as a curative for healing the skin.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. Alternatively, use Carrier Oils alone as a natural moisturizer. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
2ml Evening Primrose
10 ml roller bottle
2 drops Geranium Essential Oil
5 drops Fennel Essential oil
3 drops Cypress Essential Oil
Add the drops of essential oil to the roller bottle and add 2 ml of Evening Primrose oil. Top the rest of the way to the shoulders of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil. Insert roller top, cap, and gently turn back and forth to mix. Apply to the lower stomach and inside of the thighs when a little extra balance is needed.
More from the blog: