Free shipping on all orders in the US!
pain & recovery
Frankincense has an ancient and fascinating history. It has been used as a support for many health conditions and in numerous consumer skincare products. This legendary substance is an active ingredient in many perfumes and body care products.
The aroma of Frankincense is almost indescribable: aged wood, balsamic, subtly sweet with hints of citrus.
Frankincense is used in some Christian churches including the Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches. According to the gospel of Matthew 2:11, gold, frankincense, and myrrh were among the gifts brought to Jesus by the biblical magi (wise men). Christian faiths sometimes use Frankincense to anoint newborn infants and church members entering new phases of their spiritual lives. When the essential oil is diffused, it sets a distinctive feeling of decorum, reverence and peace.
Native to the North Africa, Frankincense is found in sunny, dry locations. The tree grows to about 20 feet and sprouts glossy leaves and white flowers. When the bark is opened, a resin pours out of the tree. Through a steam distillation process the essential oil is extracted from the resin. There are four main species of Boswellia that produce true frankincense and the grades depend on the time of harvesting and other factors. The English word Frankincense is derived from Old French "franc encens" meaning, high quality or ‘true’ incense.
Not sure which Frankincense is right for you? Check out our blog on the differences here!
Frankincense is also known to be combined often with Myrrh to get the combined benefits of these essential oils. If you are interested in this blend, also check out our Blend of Frankincense Essential Oils and Myrrh Essential Oils.
**Euro droppers are not included with 4 oz bottles**
Botanical Name: Boswellia carterii
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Resin
Blends Well With: Lemon, Myrrh, and other citrus and resins
Aroma: Herbaceous, musky, earthy, and resinous
Color: Clear – Pale Yellow
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 1-2 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- There are several ways to use Frankincense oil. For pain and inflammation, dilute Frankincense to 3% by combining 18 drops of Frankincense in 1 oz of carrier oil, then apply to the affected area daily. To balance mood, reduce stress and create a meditative atmosphere, add 10 drops of Frankincense oil per every 100 ml of water in an essential oil diffuser. For immune support, diffuse Frankincense oil or apply it topically when environmental threats arise. To protect against free radicals, create a facial serum or body oil by combining 6 drops of Frankincense in 1 oz of carrier oil and apply topically as the last step in your skincare routine or before applying sunscreen.
- Frankincense has been used since antiquity for its healing benefits and deeply soothing aroma. Today, Frankincense essential oil is used for pain relief, alleviating inflammation, reducing stress, enhancing sleep, nourishing skin and supporting the immune system. Additionally, its antibacterial, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties make Frankincense one of the most versatile and therapeutic essential oils in aromatherapy. To use Frankincense effectively, it’s recommended that you inhale it using an essential oil diffuser or apply it topically.
- Frankincense oil is safe to diffuse around dogs. Make sure there is proper ventilation and that your pet has the ability to leave the room if desired. If in doubt, ask a vet with aromatherapy experience for safety guidelines for your pet, or avoid essential oil use around your pet altogether. For further pet safety guidelines, we recommend picking a copy of Kristen Leigh Bell’s book Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals or joining an animal aromatherapy Facebook group.
- The most popular varietal we offer is our Frankincense Carterii essential oil. Besides its intoxicatingly smooth and relaxing aroma, Frankincense Carterii has a knack for charming users with its many therapeutic properties, such as reducing pain & inflammation, protecting against environmental threats and alleviating stress. Native to Oman, Frankincense Sacra is a gem of the Middle East. Out of all four Frankincense varieties offered by Edens Garden, Frankincense Sacra has the highest amount of α-pinene. As such, Frankincense Sacra is supremely efficient at aiding sleep-related problems, alleviating pain, inflammation and muscle spasms, reducing bacteria and boosting antioxidant levels.
- At Edens Garden, we offer practically-priced essential oils and aromatherapy products. We do this by cutting out the middleman, offering our products solely online rather than brick-and-mortar stores and offering wholesale pricing for everyone across the board. Each of our oils is 100% pure and of the highest quality available which we guarantee by GC/MS testing every batch of oil we offer. From there, these tests are analyzed and approved by third-party essential oil chemists and industry experts along with our in-house team of aromatherapists. We also perform refractive index, specific gravity and organoleptic testing on every batch to further ensure purity and quality in every bottle.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
RELAX: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Frankincense (Carterii), 5 drops of Vetiver and 5 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas). Or add 5-6 drops of Frankincense (Carterii) to your diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes before bedtime to encourage deep relaxation.
STRESS-LESS: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Frankincense (Carterii), 5 drops of Ylang Ylang and 5 drops of Bergamot.
INHALATION: Add the following to a 5 ml amber glass bottle: 15 drops of Frankincense (Carterii), 20 drops of Fir Needle, 15 drops of Tea Tree and 10 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas). Shake to mix well. Fill a bowl with steamy water. Add to the bowl 2 drops of the essential oil mixture. Lean over the bowl and cover your head with a towel to keep the steam in. Inhale through your nose (keep your eyes closed), breathing deeply, for several minutes, or as desired.
OILY SKIN: Add to a 2 ounce bottle: 4 drops of Frankincense (Carterii), 1 drop of Carrot Seed, 4 drops of Eucalyptus and 3 drops of Lavender (French), then fill with witch hazel and Polysorbate 20 (manufacturer's recommended amount). Shake well to combine before applying a couple of drops to a cotton swab and applying directly to the acne. Add a teaspoon of this blend to a small basin of water and soak a face cloth for larger areas. Relax and keep your eyes closed, as you apply the cloth to your entire face for a refreshing mask! Shelf life: 1 week (1% dilution)
More from the blog: