Botanical Name: Dipterocarpus turbinatus
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Resin
Blends Well With: Jasmine, Neroli, Frankincense, Elemi, Myrrh, Rose, Vanilla and Ginger
Aroma: Lightly woody and delicately earthy
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 5 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Gurjun balsam, known by its Latin name, Dipterocarpus turbinatus, is an essential oil cultivated by steam distillation from the resin of the Gurjun tree. It is a base note that gives it a quality and affinity to support the respiratory probelms by alleviating chest congestion and chronic cough and also aids the body as an anti-inflammatory. It has a clear, thin consistency and has been used in the perfume industry as a fixatives in colognes and perfumes.
- Gurjun Balsam essential oil has a sweet, musky aromatic and is often used in high end perfumes and skincare products as an inexpensive fixative to extend the life of a blend. It has a delicate, light, woody and earthen aroma that can soften rough edges by bringing aromatic notes together in a smooth, cohesive fashion.
- Gurjun Balsam has anti-inflammatory properties making it ideal for topical applications. It has the ability to add elasticity back into aging skin which can help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Its sweet, woody aromatics give it the ability to blend especially well with other wood essential oils as well as citrus oils and oils in the spice family. Its chemical makeup makes it perfect for use as an antiseptic for wounds, for respiratory relief with bronchial infections, and also supports those who are confronted with anxiety and stress.
- Gurjun Balsam and Peru Balsam are two completely different essential oils. Peru Balsam is more closely related to Copaiba balsam and has a more Vanilla like sweet aroma whereas Gurjun Balsam is more woody and musky. However, just like Gurjun balsam has an affinity for the skin, Peru Balsam is also used to help heal wounds and other skin irritations.
- For use in a diffuser, Gurjun Balsam would be an excellent choice in a respiratory health blend. Gurjun Balsam has an affinity for reducing inflammation and adding moisture that will help to break up chest congestion. Paired with other oils for respiratory health and especially to reduce bronchial congestion and irritation, Gurjun Balsam will act as the base note fixative and give the blend a softer edge. Try blending it with Eucalyptus, Lemon, Ravintsara and Black Pepper. Try making a chest and back rub with a blend of 15 drops of the above oils by blending them into a carrier oil of your choice.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.