There is something so consoling about entering a freshly cleaned space. Lemongrass is the tidy essential oil.
Its purifying qualities can make profound change. Additionally, Lemongrass can provide emotional calm through its earthy citrus aroma. Inhaling a few drops of Lemongrass or adding it to a bath can ease the nerves and provide mental clarity.
The entire plant, a tufted grass with numerous stiff stems, is put through a steam distillation process to extract the oil. Lemongrass is a sensational addition to citrus or floral blends.
**Euro droppers are not included with 4 oz bottles**
Botanical Name: Cymbopogon flexuosus
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Grass
Note: Top - Middle
Blends Well With: Lime, and other citrus; Geranium, and other florals
Aroma: Sweet, lemony, green, and slightly fruity
Color: Pale Yellow
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
Adult Max Dilution: 0.7%
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Animals, including dogs, metabolize essential oils differently than humans. Certain essential oils are not safe for use around dogs because they’ve been shown to produce negative side effects. If you decide to diffuse Lemongrass ensure proper ventilation and that your dog is free to leave the room if desired. That being said, puppies and dogs with health conditions may be too sensitive to essential oil exposure. We also do not recommend topical or oral application of essential oils unless advised by an animal aromatherapist. To understand a little more about safe oils for dogs, read this blog post.
- Lemongrass, known by its latin name, Cymbopogon flexuosus, has a herbaceous yet lemon heavy aroma that is superbly refreshing. Due to its high content of citral (made from the combination of components geranial and neral), it is great to use around the house in DIY cleaning supplies. It also is great to use to ease a worried mind, to calm nervousness and bring about focus and mental clarity. Try adding a couple drops to Epsom salts to relax and wash away the stress and tension of the day - this method in particular can help relieve muscular tension and pain.
- A few drops of Lemongrass essential oil is an incredible elixir to use with Epsom Salts in a bath for added magnesium absorption. This method of use will not only help to relieve pain and muscular tension but will also help to relieve feelings of anxiety and aid you in shedding the day's tension. Used in DIY cleaning products, its content of geranial and neral (together known as Citral), is great to use in the bathroom to rid corners and areas where germs and fungi are likely to proliferate such as in bath and shower stalls.
- Regarding Lemongrass and cholesterol, some studies have shown a decrease in the cholesterol levels of rats and humans. However, human studies are needed to confirm these findings with larger control groups to understand the full effect and correct dosage of Lemongrass essential oil. Although these few studies are promising and exciting, at this time we do not recommend using Lemongrass for reducing cholesterol levels in place of exercising and eating healthier and avoiding high saturated fat content found in animal products and fried foods.
- Due to its content of the chemical component Citronella which gives off a lemon-like citrus aroma, Lemongrass is an essential oil that has been shown in studies to be an effective natural product that repels mosquitoes. Used in combination with other mosquito repellent essential oils such as Patchouli, Peppermint, Catnip, etc it can be even more effective. We highly recommend that you dilute Lemongrass and other essential oils in a carrier oil to avoid skin irritation. Read more about essential oil dilution information here.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
SPORTS MASSAGE: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 6 drops of Lemongrass, 15 drops of Helichrysum, 15 drops of Peppermint and 24 drops of Copaiba with 4 tablespoons of Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Apply enough of this mixture to cover the inflamed area and massage into the skin. (5% dilution)
INHALER: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Lemongrass, 5 drops of Tea Tree and 5 drops of Lemon. Or add Lemongrass to your Thera Lux Nebulizing Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
UPLIFT: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Lemongrass, 5 drops of Lime and 5 drops of Lemon. Or add 5-6 drops of Lemongrass to your Car Diffuser and diffuse for a more uplifting drive.
MENTAL FATIGUE: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Lemongrass, 5 drops of Rosemary and 5 drops of Peppermint. Or add 5-6 drops of Lemongrass to your Scent Ball Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
CLOSET SPRAY: In a 12 ounce spray bottle add: 3 ounces of Lemongrass hydrosol, 3 ounces of Lavender hydrosol, 3 ounces of Peppermint hydrosol, 3 ounces of witch hazel, 25 drops of Lemongrass, 30 drops of Cedarwood (Himalayan), 25 drops of Citronella, 40 drops of Lemon Eucalyptus and 20 drops of Geranium. Shake well before each use. Mist as needed to relieve musty smells and discourage pests. Shelf life: 1 week
SHAMPOO: Add 1 tablespoon of your shampoo: 1 drop of Lemongrass and 2 drops of Tea Tree. Massage well into the scalp; rinse well before using conditioner.
More from the blog: