The name says it all. Mountain Savory is a magnificent essential oil that can transport us to those mountaintop moments.
Like the clean and refreshing air that we breathe while exploring the majestic nature of the mountains, Mountaintop Savory has peppery and slightly sweet aroma.
The entire perennial subshrub that grows 40 cms and sprouts woody stems, linear leaves and soft purple flowers is put through steam distillation to extract and bottle the essential oil. Mountain Savory is a majestic addition to Lavender and Pine blends when bottling your own unique concoctions.
Botanical Name: Satureja montana
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Herb
Synonym: Winter Savory
Blends Well With: Citrus oils, Lavender, Pine and Rosemary
Aroma: Peppery, herbaceous, and slightly-sweet
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
Adult Max Dilution: 1.2%
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- There are several ways to effectively use Mountain Savory essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water to enable you to breathe easier while in recovery from being ill. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops to 1 ounce of Castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- While there are many essential oil companies in the market today, Edens Garden has consistently risen above the competition and is considered the best source for 100% pure Mountain Savory essential oil. We strive to offer unparalleled value and wellness in every drop of essential oil we carry (without the pesky MLM markups). Our oils are third-party GC/MS tested for 100% purity, safety and quality so you can rest assured that you’re getting the very best. Furthermore, our top-quality oils are a reflection of the hard work and expertise of our partner farms and distilleries. We support farms that put people first and uphold rigorous quality standards. We also give back a percentage of all Edens Garden profits to a variety of organizations that are building a better tomorrow, so you can feel good about your purchase.
- Mountain Savory essential oil (Satureja montana) is beloved for its refreshing, earthy and forest-like aroma, as well as its helpful therapeutic benefits. Diluted and applied topically, it assists with pain, muscle recovery, acne, warts and ringworm. Diffused, it enhances one’s ability to breathe, it promotes anti-infectious activity and it energizes. To effectively enjoy its benefits, dilute it to 2% by combining 12 drops in 1 oz of Fractionated Coconut oil, then apply it topically. Alternatively, add 10 drops per 100 ml water in an essential oil diffuser.
- Mountain Savory is refreshing, herbaceous, sharp and peppery with a twinge of sweetness. It has been compared to a more gentle version of Oregano and this most likely has to do with the component Carvacrol. Another component, para-Cymene, gives it a similarity to Thyme- Red and both of these components give the aromatic of Mountain Savory its intensity and fortitude as it energizes the air. These qualities give it an anti-infectious and medicinal quality that lends itself to fighting microbes. The essential oil has a pale yellow to light brown tonality.
- Mountain Savory essential oil is made via steam distillation. In steam distillation, plant material is placed in a still, water is added, then heat is applied to the unit. As water heats, plants release their essential oil, the oil rises with steam droplets that are sucked into a pipe and the oil and water are then separated. While it may not be possible to make Mountain Savory essential oil at home, you can make aromatic hydrosol water that contains many of the same therapeutic benefits as an essential oil. Click here for instructions on how to make your own hydrosol.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
DIFFUSER: Add: 5-6 drops of Mountain Savory to your diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
FIRST AID: To a 2 ounce squeeze bottle add: 5 drops of Mountain Savory, 15 drops of Tea Tree and 4 drops of Clary Sage and 2 ounces of aloe vera gel. Use a glass stirring rod to mix. Apply on the infected area. 2-3 times daily or as needed until infection clears. (2% dilution)
SHAMPOO: Add to 1 tablespoon of your shampoo: 1 drop of Mountain Savory and 2 drops of Tea Tree. Massage well into the scalp; rinse well before using conditioner.
More from the blog: