At Edens Garden, we are very selective about the essential oils that we carry. We want each oil to add something special to the lives of our community.
Opoponax offers a rich and earthy aroma with intoxicating woody nuances that can help us let go of stress and find stillness and calm.
Native to East Africa, Opoponax is commonly used in perfumery, incense and herbal remedies. It shares many of the same properties with Myrrh because the plant source is closely related. A tall tropical tree that holds natural oleogum resin in tubular vessels between the bark and wood trunk, Opoponax’ gum dries to form dark reddish-brown lumps that produce a sweet and robust-like aroma. The resin is put through a steam distillation method to capture the essential oil.
Botanical Name: Commiphora erythraea
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Resin
Synonym: Opopanax, Scented Myrrh, Sweet Myrrh
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Neroli, and other citrus
Aroma: Sweet, earthy, and musky with subtle woody nuances
Color: Clear – Pale Yellow
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
Adult Max Dilution: 0.6%
Shelf Life: 1-2 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Native to East Africa, Opoponax essential oil (Commiphora erythraea) is commonly used in perfumery, incense and herbal remedies. It shares many of the same properties with Myrrh because the plant source is closely related. A tall tropical tree that holds natural oleogum resin in tubular vessels between the bark and wood trunk, Opoponax’s gum dries to form dark reddish-brown lumps that produce a sweet and robust-like aroma. The resin is put through a steam distillation method to capture the essential oil.
- While there are many essential oil companies in the market today, Edens Garden has consistently risen above the competition and is considered the best source for 100% pure Opoponax essential oil. We strive to offer unparalleled value and wellness in every drop of essential oil we carry (without the pesky MLM markups). Our oils are third-party GC/MS tested for 100% purity, safety and quality so you can rest assured that you’re getting the very best. Furthermore, our top-quality oils are a reflection of the hard work and expertise of our partner farms and distilleries. We support farms that put people first and uphold rigorous quality standards. We also give back a percentage of all Edens Garden profits to a variety of organizations that are building a better tomorrow, so you can feel good about your purchase.
- Opoponax offers a rich and earthy aroma with intoxicating woody nuances that can help us let go of stress and find stillness and calm. It’s also described as sweet, earthy, and musky with subtle animalic nuances. In perfumery, it blends well with Bergamot, Neroli and citruses such as Sweet Orange, Lemon, Yuzu, Grapefruit, Mandarin and Tangerine. For an earthy, grounding diffuser blend, add 4 drops Opoponax, 3 drops Sweet Orange and 3 drops Elemi to an essential oil diffuser. If you enjoy the resinous aromas of Frankincense and Myrrh, you’re sure to love Opoponax.
- A relative of Frankincense and Myrrh, Opoponax is extracted from the resin of the Opoponax tree. Its aroma is balsamic, musky and likened to Frankincense. Opoponax oil is known for its skin healing, decongestant and anti-inflammatory properties. One of our favorite ways to use Opoponax is in a skin-healing moisturizer. To do so, mix 32 drops Opoponax, 15 drops Frankincense, 15 drops Myrrh and 10 drops Lavender essential oil in 4 oz of Unscented Body Oil.
- Being from the same family, it’s no wonder why Frankincense Carterii and Opoponax pair well together. Both distilled from resins, Frankincense and Opoponax are similar in that they each help to relax, aid in immunity, relieve aches and increase meditation. These two oils were a match made in heaven. Because of their similarities, they can also be used interchangeably in a pinch.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
DIGEST: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Opoponax, 5 drops of Ginger and 5 drops of Sweet Orange. Or add 5-6 drops of Opoponax to your Scent Ball diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes. Alternately, add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle 4 drops of Opoponax, 3 drops of Ginger, 8 drops of Peppermint, 9 drops of Sweet Orange and 4 tablespoons of Sweet Almond oil. Shake to mix well. Apply a teaspoon over the abdomen and massage. (2% dilution)
INHALER: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Opoponax, 5 drops of Tea Tree and 5 drops of Peppermint. Or add 5-6 drops of Opoponax to your Thera Lux Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
BATH SALTS: Combine: 1 drop of Opoponax, 1 drop of Peppermint, 1 drop of Frankincense (Carterii) and 2 drops of Frankincense (Serrata) with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Add to full bath and rejuvenate for 15-30 minutes.
RELAX: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Opoponax, 5 drops of Ylang Ylang and 5 drops of Mandarin. Or add 5-6 drops of Opoponax to your Car Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
CLOSET SPRAY: In a 12 ounce spray bottle add: 55 drops of Opoponax, 45 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas) and 40 drops of Frankincense, then fill with 4 oz grain alcohol and 8 oz distilled water. Shake well before each use. Mist as needed to relieve musty smells and discourage pests.
More from the blog: