Free shipping on all orders in the US!
pain & recovery
When thinking of a space that settles your mind and calms your worries, most of us can likely come up with a place. Whether you find rejuvenation while taking a long hot shower or sitting by the campfire on a starry night, we all have those places that rejuvenate us for our busy lives.
Palo Santo can help us recall our life-giving spaces most effectively through direct inhalation of its peppery and sharp aroma. It ushers in a sense of calm, grounding and sets us up for emotional stability and a connection to the spiritual world. Yoga instructors often diffuse Palo Santo during a class to help inspire clear meditation while helping to promote full body breathing. It also can enhance creativity and help us maintain a steady focus.
Native to Central and South America, Palo Santo essential is extracted from the aged wood of fallen trees through a steam distillation method. The trees grow up to 30 feet and have grey bark, green leaves and clusters of small flowers. Palo Santo is part of the same family as Frankincense, Myrrh and Elemi.
Botanical Name: Bursera graveolens
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Wood (aged wood from fallen trees)
Note: Middle - Base
Blends Well With: Myrrh, and other resins. Bergamot, and other citrus
Aroma: Sharp, dry, peppery, and earthy
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Adult Max Dilution: 3.4%
Shelf Life: 1-2 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Palo Santo essential oil is made via steam distillation. In steam distillation, plant material is placed in a still, water is added, then heat is applied to the unit. As water heats, plants release their essential oil, the oil rises with steam droplets that are sucked into a pipe and the oil and water are then separated. While it may not be possible to make Palo Santo essential oil at home, you can make aromatic hydrosol water that contains many of the same therapeutic benefits as essential oil. Click here for instructions on how to make your own hydrosol.
- Palo Santo essential oil (Bursera graveolens) is a widely used aromatherapy tool for its ability to enhance breathing, reduce pain and boost meditation and yoga. Due to its widespread use in incense and aromatherapy, Palo Santo has become over-harvested in many areas around the world. Edens Garden is proud to offer sustainably and ethically sourced Palo Santo essential oil from Ecuador. Our Palo Santo oil is carefully obtained from the aged wood of wild-harvested fallen trees. It is an oil of exceptional quality and purity.
- There are several ways to effectively use Palo Santo essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops to 1 ounce of castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- Palo Santo oil has a rich, earthy aroma that transcends most traditional scents. It is often used to boost energy, reduce stress and inflammation while bolstering creativity. Due to its potent aroma, Palo Santo is great at deodorizing and ridding unwanted odors. To use it for this purpose, diffuse 10 drops per 100 ml of water in an essential oil diffuser. Alternatively, add 20 drops to a pot of simmering water on the stove.
- Animals such as dogs metabolize essential oils very differently than humans. If choosing to use Palo Santo essential oil around your dog, it’s important to look out for warning signs such as behavioral differences, such as whining, scratching or acting loopy. Stop using essential oils around your dog if you notice these signs, and don’t use essential oils around small dogs, puppies and pregnant dogs. We don’t recommend applying essential oils to your pup or administering oils orally without consulting a holistic veterinarian. You may diffuse small amounts of oil around your dog, but be sure to do so in a well-ventilated room where your dog can leave if desired.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
MUSCLE MASSAGE: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 10 drops of Palo Santo, 5 drops of Helichrysum, 5 drops of Peppermint and 10 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake to mix well. Apply enough of this mixture to cover the affected area and massage into the skin.
BATH SALTS: Combine: 1 drop of Palo Santo, 1 drop of Peppermint and 3 drops of Frankincense (Carterii) with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Stir together and add to running bath water for a relaxing soak.
HAPPY THOUGHTS: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Palo Santo, 5 drops of Rosemary and 5 drops of Peppermint. Or add this blend to your Thera Lux Nebulizing Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
SPORTS/ DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE BLEND: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 10 drops of Palo Santo, 5 drops of Black Pepper, 10 drops of Sweet Marjoram and 5 drops of Lavender, then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Apply enough of this mixture to cover the problem area and massage into the skin. (2.5% dilution)
RELAX: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Palo Santo, 5 drops of Bergamot and 2 drops of Ylang Ylang. Or add 5 drops to your Scent Ball Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
More from the blog: