Sometimes, we need a little extra love and care. Yarrow is an essential oil that gently eases us into cozy relaxation while also enhancing overall health. For those skincare fanatics, Yarrow is a fabulous choice.
With a woody and slightly piney aroma, Yarrow is comparable to Chamomile in its ability to sooth and heal. It’s one of those oils you want close by. If you have trouble sleeping or are feeling restless, Yarrow can quiet the mind.
Native to Europe and Asia, Yarrow grows about 1-3 feet in height and produces beautiful white, yellow, lilac, or pink flowers with feathery leaves. The plant is also commonly known as the staunch weed and woundwort. The herb is put through a steam distillation process to extract the essential oil which is thin and blue in color.
Botanical Name: Achillea millefolium
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flower
Note: Middle - Base
Blends Well With: Geranium, and other florals; Lemon, and other citrus
Aroma: Woody, musky, herbaceous, and slightly piney
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
Adult Max Dilution: 8.6%
Shelf Life: 7 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- doTERRA Yarrow Pom is a combination of Yarrow essential oil and Pomegranate Seed carrier oil. According to doTERRA, Yarrow Pom supports antioxidant levels, the immune system, and metabolic function. It also works to soothe skin. To make your own Yarrow Pom, simply combine 18 drops Yarrow in 30 ml of Pomegranate Seed oil for use on skin and pulse points. For internal usage instructions, consult with an aromatherapist.
- There are several ways to effectively use Yarrow essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops to 1 ounce of castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- Throughout every person’s life, hormonal changes and aging can put them at increased risk for developing varicose veins. However, there are some actions that can help mitigate this risk: exercising, losing weight and elevating your legs may be able to prevent and treat these swollen veins. You can also use Yarrow in a varicose vein massage. Combine 12 drops Yarrow and 1 oz carrier oil or unscented lotion. Massage the mixture into the affected area to improve blood circulation.
- Skincare fanatics rejoice – Yarrow essential oil is a powerhouse and a fabulous choice. Yarrow is antioxidant-rich which works to deeply nourish skin while also regenerating healthy skin cells. It can be diluted to 1% by combining 6 drops Yarrow and 1 oz carrier oil and applied to the face and neck as the last step in your skincare routine or before applying sunscreen. It can also be diluted to 3% and used directly on fine lines. Note that Yarrow is blue due to a natural constituent called chamazulene and while it can stain clothes, it should not discolor your skin.
- Essential oils are powerful, concentrated substances so a little goes a long way. Two of the most effective ways to use them is by way of inhalation and topical use. Drinking Yarrow essential oil is rarely necessary or recommended, no matter the brand. Essential oil ingestion can lead to adverse reactions such as medication contraindications, mucous membrane irritation, sensitization and nausea if done incorrectly. Therefore, if you wish to drink essential oils, we strongly recommend consulting with a knowledgeable professional with experience in internal use.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
NIGHT TIME BLEND: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Yarrow, 2 drops of Wild Orange and 5 drops of Lavender. Or add this blend to your Thera Lux Nebulizing Diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes before bedtime to wind down.
LINIMENT: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Yarrow, 5 drops of Helichrysum, 2 drops of Peppermint and 8 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake well to mix. Apply a small amount of this mixture to sore muscles and massage into the skin. (1.7% dilution)
BATH SALTS: Combine: 3 drops of Yarrow, 2 drops of Lavender and 2 drops of Geranium with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup Epsom salts. Add to a full bath and rejuvenate for 15-30 minutes.
MASSAGE OIL: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 6 drops of Yarrow, 4 drops of Lavender, 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman) and 5 drops of Orange; fill with Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Apply to the skin after a bath or for full body massage. (1.7% dilution)
BODY BUTTER: Melt one ounce each of Cocoa butter and Jojoba oil over low heat. Add: 6 drops of Yarrow, 5 drops of Wild Orange, 4 drops of Lavender and 5 drops of Sandalwood then blend together; it will thicken as it cools. Apply to dry skin or cracked feet. (1.7% dilution)
More from the blog: