Ylang Ylang is one of the world’s most popular essential oils and is treasured for its lovely, classic perfume like aroma. Its exquisite aroma is heady, richly-floral and bursting with lingering sweetness that delights the senses. It bequeaths an aromatic sensory aroma that Jasmine and Neroli essential oil do, but within more of a traditional perfume like notes. It is a splendid addition to an otherwise dreary day or less than buoyant evening.
This Edens Garden essential oil contains all of the coveted Ylang Ylang fractions created during processing, thereby delivering a full-spectrum, aromatic bouquet of sensory elevation and enjoyment.
The essential oil is used in aromatherapy, and some believe it to possess alluring, romance enhancing properties…sensual and alive with a seductive euphoria. Ylang Ylang essential oil is also widely used in perfumery for oriental or floral themed perfumes with its evocative floral and fruit notes.
In parts of Indonesia, Ylang Ylang flowers are spread on the beds of newlyweds to enhance enduring love, romance and fertility. According to some practitioners the powerful aroma lifts the spirit. Dab a single diluted drop or two on your pulse points for an alluring perfume. Ylang Ylang Complete merges flawlessly with most other essential oils, especially florals and citrus notes.
Ylang Ylang Complete added to carrier oil creates an awesome, even celebratory, massage oil or perfume. Ylang Ylang is supportive of both mature and youthful skin types. For those looking for the appearance of more lustrous hair, Ylang Ylang properly diluted in carrier oils is a stimulating way to arouse the scalp with gentle massage. In fact, it was popular in men’s hair tonics in the late 1800’s.
The essential oil is obtained through steam distillation of the flowers and separated into different grades (Extra, 1, 2, 3 or Complete), according to when the essential oils are separated from the still. Ylang Ylang has an intense floral aroma that is prized in perfumes, but all grades offer wonderfully positive additions to your aromatic blending palette.
Ylang Ylang Complete represents the whole distillate encompassing all the fractions released from the still during the entire distillation process. This essential oil offers maximum fragrance potency. A little goes a long way, so begin your experimenting judiciously. This aroma can be overwhelming when used to excess. It can be blended with Ylang Ylang I to increase the lighter, floral top notes.
Botanical Name: Cananga odorata var. genuina
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flower
Note: Middle- Base
Blends Well With: Citruses and florals such as Rose
Aroma: Floral, sensual and richly sweet
Color: Clear to Pale Yellow
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 0.8%
Adult Max Dilution: 0.8%
Shelf Life: 4-8 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Ylang Ylang Complete offers a bevy of therapeutic benefits. It can be diluted and added to an Epsom salt bath to assist with pain and inflammation. When diffused, Ylang Ylang creates a happy atmosphere that fosters creativity. Inhaled at night, Ylang Ylang can ease one into sleep and relaxation. Floral, sweet and brimming with antioxidants, it’s exceptionally beneficial in skin and hair care.
- The yellow, fragrant flowers of Cananga odorata var. genuina undergo steam distillation in fractions, or different lengths of time, producing varying grades of Ylang Ylang essential oil. Ylang Ylang Complete can refer to Ylang oil that is the product of 6 hours of distillation or a blend of fractions. At Edens Garden, we offer a Ylang Ylang Complete that’s been distilled for 6 hours. It contains a high amount of heavier aromatic molecules like beta-caryophyllene and germacrene, giving it an aroma that’s deep and floral with fruity notes. This variety is often chosen for its aphrodisiac and skin care benefits.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil is a known aphrodisiac that can help boost libido when used correctly. A few creative ways to use Ylang Ylang for a romantic sensory experience include 1.) Create a romantic massage oil by combining 6 drops Ylang Ylang, 6 drops Nova Mandarin and 1-ounce Pomegranate Seed oil. Massage your partner with the oil to impart calming relaxation. 2.) Transform your bedroom into a romantic sanctuary by diffusing 10 drops Ylang Ylang per 100 ml of water in an essential oil diffuser. 3.) Create a lovely body spray your partner will adore by combining 12 drops Ylang Ylang, 1 tablespoon 190-proof grain alcohol and 3 tablespoons distilled water in a glass spray bottle. Spray yourself and your bed for a romantic escapade.
- Ylang Ylang Complete is a wonderful addition to hair care. It helps balance oily scalp, reduces scalp irritation and boosts hair nourishment. A few beneficial ways to use Ylang Ylang for hair include 1.) Add 12 drops Ylang Ylang per ounce of unscented shampoo. Wash hair thoroughly and be sure to massage the shampoo into your scalp before rinsing. 2.) Make a pre-wash hair oil serum with 6 drops Ylang Ylang, 3 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Rosemary Moroccan and 1 ounce Argan oil. Massage the oil into your scalp and wait at least 30 minutes before washing it out. 3.) Add Ylang Ylang essential oil to our DIY hair scrub recipe.
- If choosing to use Ylang Ylang essential oil around your cat, it’s important to look out for warning signs such as behavioral differences, such as whining, scratching or acting loopy. Stop using essential oils around your cat if you notice these signs, and don’t use essential oils around kittens and pregnant cats. We don’t recommend applying essential oils to your cat or administering oils orally without consulting a holistic veterinarian. You may diffuse small amounts of oil around your cat, but be sure to do so in a well-ventilated room where your cat can leave if desired.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
RELEASE: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Ylang Ylang and 10 drops of Bergamot. Or add 5-6 drops of Ylang Ylang to your Scent Ball diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
PROBLEM SKIN: Add to a 2 ounce bottle: 3 drops of Ylang Ylang, 2 drops of Geranium, 3 drops of Tea Tree and 2 drops of Lemongrass, then fill with witch hazel. Shake well before applying a couple of drops to a water-damp cotton ball and wiping oily areas around the nose, chin and forehead. Add a teaspoon of this blend to a small basin of water and soak a face cloth for larger areas. Relax and keep your eyes closed, as you apply the cloth to your entire face for a refreshing mask! (1% dilution)
SHAMPOO: Add to 1 tablespoon of your shampoo: 1 drop of Ylang Ylang and 2 drops of Tea Tree. Massage well into the scalp; rinse well before using conditioner.