Botanical Name: Cananga odorata
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flowers
Note: Middle - Base
Blends Well With: Key Lime, Lemon, Yuzu, Sweet Orange and other citruses. Oud, Buddha Wood, Cedarwood and other woods
Aroma: Intensely saccharine, exotic and floral with powdery, soft nuances
Color: Clear-Pale Yellow
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 0.8%
Adult Max Dilution: 0.8%
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Aromatic Ylang Ylang essential oil helps advance people’s every day, bolstering productivity and creativity. As a deeply floral oil, Ylang Ylang assists with sleep and relaxation when inhaled. Add 10 drops per 100 ml of water in an essential oil diffuser to take advantage of its calming benefits. Furthermore, it contains rich antioxidants that assist with oxidative stress on the skin and in the body. And while it offers an endless amount of benefits, one of our favorite benefits of Ylang Ylang is its ability to nourish hair.
- Native to SouthEast Asia and popular in natural perfume, Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) is a fast-growing tree that flowers year-round. Ylang Ylang flower (pronounced, ee-layng ee-layng) is also referred to by its genus, Cananga. Ylang Ylang Extra is the first of five fractions and is distilled for about 30 minutes to an hour. It is often the most favored of the five in perfumery for its refined, complex aroma. It is the highest in linalool, geranyl acetate and benzyl acetate, making this variety of Ylang a superior sedative and muscle relief for tension, spasms and soreness.
- There are several ways to use Ylang Ylang essential oil for its hair-nourishing benefits, including 1.) Add 12 drops Ylang Ylang per ounce of unscented shampoo. Wash hair thoroughly and be sure to massage the shampoo into your scalp before rinsing. 2.) Make a pre-wash hair oil serum with 6 drops Ylang Ylang, 3 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Rosemary Moroccan and 1 ounce Argan oil. Massage the oil into your scalp and wait at least 30 minutes before washing it out. 3.) Add Ylang Ylang essential oil to our DIY hair scrub recipe.
- Thanks to its hefty antioxidants, Ylang Ylang is quite skin nourishing and a great addition to any skincare routine. Some beneficial ways to add it to your routine include, 1.) Add 12 drops Ylang Ylang to 1 ounce of unscented lotion. Wear daily as a body moisturizer. 2.) Create an oil serum by combining 6 drops Ylang Ylang and 1 ounce Tamanu. Apply to skin blemishes, age spots and fine lines. 3.) Add a few drops of Ylang Ylang to this DIY face mask made with essential oils.
- Floral and sweet, Ylang Ylang blends well with citruses and woods in perfumery. Examples include Key Lime, Lemon, Yuzu and Sweet Orange along with Oud, Buddha Wood and Cedarwood. Ylang Ylang’s aroma is described as intensely saccharine, exotic and floral with powdery, soft nuances. For this reason, only a few drops are needed to impact a blend. One of our favorite uplifting blends to create with Ylang Ylang combines 15 drops Yuzu, 15 drops Key Lime and 3 drops Ylang Ylang.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.