Eucalyptus for Wellness | Your Guide to a Rejuvenating Experience
We can all agree that Eucalyptus essential oil has a uniquely invigorating, exhilarating and restoring aroma. When one takes a sniff of this oil, it is effortless to distinguish it from other oils. What you may not know is that this single oil has several chemotypes, each with its own aromatic profile. A chemotype reflects the different plant species and their chemical makeup. Today, we will focus on Eucalyptus radiata, a close relative of its better-known cousin, Eucalyptus globulus.
Just one whiff of its green, medicinal and camphor-like aromatics suggests its phenomenal true colors for cleansing, purifying and mood-enhancing. When inhaled through the nasal cavity, these molecules function by directly affecting the limbic and hormonal centers of the brain, travel into the lungs and bloodstream and immediately work to ease emotions and impact how we function day in and day out.
While essential oils gain traction in scientific research studies, Eucalyptus radiata essential oil is not an oil that has been overlooked. Containing a significant amount of the oxide 1,8 cineole, it is revealed that the oil has an astounding capacity for properties that are antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and decongestant. But that isn’t all! This same molecule has been found to have a stimulating effect on the brain which improves mental clarity and focus and offers a rejuvenating effect on temperament. (1,2)
The Benefits of Clean and Invigorating Air
Staying healthy does not only mean eating healthy, exercising, and getting an optimal amount of sleep. To function day in and day out without a glitch in this busy world of ours, it’s also important to have clean and refreshing indoor air to breathe. To improve indoor air quality, we can employ several methods such as HEPA-filtered air purifiers to remove particulate matter, allergens, and pollutants and we can also rely on nature’s gift of essential oils. Plants naturally help with air quality and embracing them to help us fulfill our needs is very simple.
When we need to freshen our environment and living spaces due to environmental factors or clear the air when someone has been sick, the main goal is to deactivate microbes on surfaces as well as airborne particles. To give us that extra push, Edens Garden produced Purifying Eucalyptus and it has what it takes! Here are some of the skills you can count on from this blend:
- Energizing Aroma: The aromas of Eucalyptus, Fir Needle, Wintergreen and Thyme are often described as medicinal, crisp, clean and uplifting. Inhaling the molecules of this blend offers clear breathing to stimulate and awaken the senses. The combination of oils in this blend assists in combating mental fog and fatigue and promotes alertness which along with Sweet Orange essential oil, all contribute to a positive, upbeat and refreshed mood and a peaceful mind.
- Respiratory Benefits: Siberian Fir, Sweet Orange and Vetiver soften this blend’s more robust angles of Eucalyptus, Thyme and Wintergreen essential oils. However, the latter oils' sharper essential oil molecules are known for their respiratory benefits for the lungs and nasal congestion. Inhaling the aromas expands the breath and decongests but also has an actual positive impact on your overall sense of well-being and mood.
- Stress Reduction: While some of the oils in this blend are considered invigorating such as Eucalyptus oil, this blend can also have a calming effect on the mind especially due to the essential oils of Sweet Orange and Vetiver. This dual action of Purifying Eucalyptus being both energizing and calming, reduces stress and promotes emotional balance, which can contribute to an improved temperament.
- Mental Clarity: The fresh and clean perfume of Purifying Eucalyptus oil blend enhances mental clarity and focus by acting directly on the limbic center of the brain - the seat of our emotions. This improved mental clarity can help reduce feelings of irritability or frustration and lead to a more positive outlook.
The Distinctive Aroma of Purifying Eucalyptus
The aroma of Purifying Eucalyptus is cool, minty, medicinal, invigorating and expanding. Its enlivening aromatic tones are centered by the bright citrus of Sweet Orange and the smoky, earthy muskiness of Vetiver which help to keep one’s temperament calm and collected. It’s like no other oil blend in Eden Gardens repertoire.
This admirable unification of essential oils has a plethora of health benefits and can impact our senses and mood by working directly on our emotions - to bring an expanded breath to the forefront. Its talents are many and can include cooling a hot temper and ironing out an agitated outlook. Even on days when you may not have slept well but still need to keep up appearances, Purifying Eucalyptus will clear a foggy head and bring positivity and focus to the table.
The Transformative Power of Nature's Essentials
Essential oils work on many levels such as helping to discourage the growth of germs, open the air passages, reduce stress, improve mood and heighten mental capacity. Purifying Eucalyptus essential oil blend is an excellent complementary medicine that does all of the above while maintaining a fresh and pleasant aromatic environment. It also reminds us to breathe deeply which improves respiratory function and diminishes stress to elevate mood.
Numerous studies uphold the pharmacological activities of Eucalyptus species in particular and recognize that it demonstrates an overwhelming potential to manage and treat many ailments including respiratory disorders such as from colds and flu as well as COVID-19 and other infectious diseases. Its ability to act as an airborne antimicrobial agent has led science to explore it further for its potential against Gram-negative bacteria and for use in antibiotics. (3,4)
But nature is more than just oil in a bottle. Treating yourself to daily strolls in nature can have a big impact on your mood and mental health. According to research, there is mounting evidence that getting outdoors whether to a beach or a forest or if you live in a city, a walk in an urban environment - can benefit us not only physically but psychologically as well. It is a poultice for our busy brains and improves cognitive skills and attention and prompts a physiological response that lowers stress levels. So turn off that computer or TV, take a whiff of Purifying Eucalyptus and get out for that walk around your neighborhood, park or garden! (5)
Versatile Applications for a Rejuvenating Environment
As with most essential oil blends, there are plenty of strategies to utilize them for their health benefits and body care. A note of caution: since this blend contains 1,8 cineole, it is not recommended for use with children under the age of 10 as it may restrict breathing. With children, it's always best to side with caution and before using any oils with children, have them smell the cap of the oil to see how they react to it first.
Here are some of our favorite modes of use:
- Diffuse in a well-ventilated area. A general instruction is to add 10 drops of essential oils to 100 ml of water in your diffuser, but we suggest that you consult the instructions on your device and depending on its size, adjust the number of drops of essential oil.
- Topical use. When using topically, always dilute essential oils as necessary to avoid skin irritation. Blend 15-18 drops in a carrier oil or unscented cream to use as a natural perfume on pulse points or as a chest rub when battling colds and flu. Purifying Eucalyptus also has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, massage it gently into joint pain and sore muscles. Always conduct a skin patch test when trying out new oils.
- Steam Inhalation: Add 1-2 drops maximum to steamy hot water in a glass or ceramic bowl. Place a towel over your head and tent it over the bowl. Close your eyes and breathe deeply through your nose and mouth for 2 minutes or longer.
- Warm bath: In a bowl, add 6 drops of Purifying Eucalyptus to 2 cups of Epsom salts, ½ cup Baking Soda and 2 tablespoons of Castile soap. Run a warm bath and pour the salt blend into the water swirling with your hand to dissolve the salts. Sit in the tub for 15-20 minutes.
- Incorporate it into your shower routine: If you like DIY projects, try out these for shower melts or shower bombs. You can even check out ideas such as adding it to hair care products, unscented shampoos and conditioners!
- And for on-the-go use, there are some simple and small devices to take with you anywhere you go such as the essential oil inhaler and the Mio Mist diffuser.
Creating a Truly Revitalizing Experience
Essential oils are holistic and complementary medicine that align with principles of self-care that positively influence the health of the body, mind and spirit. Whatever your needs, you can count on Edens Garden to take care of you, you are after all our family. We also know that everyone has different tastes and preferences especially when it comes to aromatics which is why we create numerous blends for health. Find exactly what you need when you need it. We will always be here for you.
- Plasma 1,8-Cineole Correlates with Cognitive Performance Following Exposure to Rosemary Essential Oil Aroma https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736918/
- Effect of 1,8 Cineole Inhalation on Preoperative Anxiety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4083598/
- Chemical Composition, Antioxidant, Antibacterial and Anti-quorum Sensing Activities of Eucalyptus globulus and Eucalyptus radiata Essential Oils https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0926669015304982
- A Systematic and Comprehensive Review on Current Understanding of the Pharmacological Actions, Molecular Mechanisms, and Clinical Implications of the Genus Eucalyptus https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2667031321000713
- Nurtured by Nature https://www.apa.org/monitor/2020/04/nurtured-nature