Through emotional and physical balance we often find clarity. With a woody and musky aroma, Vetiver inspires a harmonious state while promoting deep concentration.
An extremely versatile essential oil, Vetiver has an alluring effect that can enhance sensual and romantic emotions.
Native to Asia, the tropical grass grows about 4 to 8 feet in height and produces sharp edged leaves, tiny flowers and aromatic roots. The strong roots sink deep into the earth, making the plant ideal for preventing soil erosion. To extract the essential oil, the root is put through a steam distillation process. The thick amber oil mixes well with Sandalwood and other resins.
Botanical Name: Vetiveria zizanioides
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Root
Blends Well With: Sandalwood and other resins
Aroma: Woody, smoky, and musky
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Adult Max Dilution: 15%
Shelf Life: 4-8 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Vetiver essential oil (Vetiveria zizanioides) is supremely therapeutic and can help improve your everyday. Aromatherapists often choose Vetiver for relaxing massages that reduce stress and anxiety as well as inflammation and pain. Diffused, Vetiver balances emotions and improves sleep problems such as insomnia. Historically, Vetiver has also been used to rid lice and insects. While it is incredibly powerful, Vetiver is also gentle enough to be used with young kids for these issues, especially when inhaled.
- There are several ways to effectively use Vetiver essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops to 1 ounce of castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- Throughout history, the grounding aroma of Vetiver has been used to alleviate the effects of stress and anxiety. To use Vetiver essential oil for stress 1.) Diffuse 10 drops Vetiver in 100 ml of water in an essential oil diffuser for 30 minutes to decompress. 2.) Combine 6 drops Vetiver, 1 oz carrier oil and 1 oz Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add your mixture to a warm, soothing bath. 3.) Dilute 12 drops Vetiver in 1 oz of Fractionated Coconut oil. Apply the mixture to your wrists, feet and neck.
- Resins, roots, and absolutes tend to produce oil with a larger molecular structure. This makes them less volatile and hence, more aromatic over longer periods of time due to slow evaporation. It also means they are a little more difficult to work with. To use thicker oils like Vetiver, roll the bottle between your palms at an upside-down angle until adequately warmed. Alternatively, remove the euro dropper, and use disposable pipettes to get the appropriate amount of drops.
- With a woody and musky aroma, Vetiver inspires a harmonious state while promoting deep concentration. It’s often added to colognes for its woody, smoky and musky scent. If you’re looking to create a relaxing combination, blend Vetiver with woods and resins such as Sandalwood, Buddha Wood and Cedarwood along with Frankincense, Myrrh and Elemi. At Edens Garden, a staff favorite smoky and grounding diffuser recipe combines 3 drops Vetiver, 2 drops Peru Balsam and 2 drops Sandalwood Australian. To create a simple calming diffuser blend, mix 4 drops Diffuse the Anxiety and 2 drops Vetiver.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
FRAGRANT SACHET: Fill an empty sachet bag with dried flowers, herbs or cotton balls. Add 6-10 drops of Vetiver to the sachet filling; close and place the sachet in drawers, or hang in your closet.
INSECT POTPOURRI: Place 2 cups of dried flowers in a decorative bowl. Sprinkle 10-15 drops of Vetiver over the dried flowers. Place in an area where you want to ward off pests.
GROUNDING BLEND: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Vetiver, 5 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas) and 5 drops of Buddha Wood. Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your Scent Ball Diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes to create a calming space.
MASSAGE OIL: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Vetiver, 5 drops of Roman Chamomile, 2 drops of Ylang Ylang and 8 drops of Orange, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake to mix well. Apply to the skin after bath or for full body massage. (1.7% dilution)
BATH SALTS: Combine: 2 drops of Vetiver, 2 drops of Orange and 3 drops of Vanilla with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Add to full bath and rejuvenate for 15-30 minutes.
RELAXING BATH: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Vetiver, 10 drops of Lavender and 5 drops of Clary Sage, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake well to blend. Add 1-2 teaspoons to a full tub. Relax and enjoy. (1.7% dilution)
BEARD OIL: Add to a 2 oz bottle: 4 drops of Vetiver, 6 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas), 3 drops of Bergamot, 4 drops of Spruce and 3 drops of Lime. Fill with a carrier oil. Shake well before use. Apply several drops to the beard area and smooth over the hair as desired. (1.7% dilution)
More from the blog: