Free shipping on all orders in the US!
Life can be disruptive and baffling at times but we hope you make space in your everyday to experience joy. With an herbaceous-green and dry aroma, Sweet Marjoram’s name means “joy of the mountains.” It is refreshing and alluring and helps revitalize the body.
The Ancient Greeks planted Sweet Marjoram on grave sites because they believe it would bring peace to the dead. Native to the Mediterranean, Sweet Marjoram is a bushy perennial herb with hairy leaves that is cultivated throughout Europe. The flowering tops and leaves are steam distilled to extract the essential oil.
Botanical Name: Origanum majorana
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flowers & Leaves
Blends Well With: Coriander, and other spices
Aroma: Medicinal, dry, and camphorous
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Sweet Marjoram essential oil (Origanum majorana) is an herbaceous oil renowned for its therapeutic benefits. Diluted and applied topically, Sweet Marjoram assists with circulation. Inhaled before bed, it boosts relaxation and sleep. Diffused, it can also support immunity, cough and headache. Historically, it has been used to foster joy, uplift and alleviate depression.
- There are several ways to effectively use Sweet Marjoram essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops to 1 ounce of castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- In most cases, Sweet Marjoram, Wild Marjoram and Marjoram are all common names for the botanical Origanum majorana. Native to the Mediterranean, Sweet Marjoram is a bushy perennial herb with hairy leaves that is cultivated throughout Europe. The flowering tops and leaves are steam distilled to extract the essential oil. With an herbaceous-green and dry aroma, Sweet Marjoram’s name means “joy of the mountains.” It is refreshing and alluring and helps revitalize the body.
- With an herbaceous-green and dry aroma, Sweet Marjoram has an aroma much like Oregano, Thyme and other herbal oils. Perfumers often choose it for its medicinal, dry and camphorous notes. If you’re looking to blend Sweet Marjoram with other oils, it pairs well with spices and herbs such as Coriander, Rosemary, Basil, Cumin and Allspice. For a calming, sweet diffuser blend recipe, add 3 drops Clary Sage, 2 drops Sweet Marjoram and 1 drop Spike Lavender to your essential oil diffuser. For a relaxing bedtime blend, add 5 drops of Sweet Marjoram, 2 drops of Chamomile Roman and 5 drops of Cedarwood Atlas to the diffuser.
- For an oil that offers similar therapeutic benefits to Sweet Marjoram, opt for Basil or Thyme ct. Linalool. Each of these oils assist with circulation, sleep, relaxation, coughs and immune support. Combined, these oils create a synergy that bolsters each of these benefits. For the ultimate herbaceous diffuser blend, combine 5 drops each Sweet Marjoram, Basil and Thyme to enjoy these benefits.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
NIGHT TIME BLEND: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Sweet Marjoram, 2 drops of Chamomile (Roman) and 5 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas). Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your Scent Ball Diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes before bedtime to wind down.
BATH SALTS: Combine 3 drops of Sweet Marjoram, 3 drops of Lavender and 1 drop of Frankincense with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Stir together and add to a full bath for a relaxing soak.
RELAXING BATH: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Sweet Marjoram, 10 drops of Lavender and 5 drops of Sandalwood, then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake well to blend and add 1-2 teaspoons to a full tub. Relax and enjoy. (1.7% dilution)
LINIMENT: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Sweet Marjoram, 5 drops of Helichrysum, 2 drops of Lavender and 8 drops of Copaiba then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Apply a small amount of this mixture to sore muscles and massage into the skin. (1.7% dilution)
SPORTS MASSAGE: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 8 drops of Sweet Marjoram, 2 drops of Frankincense, 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman) and 5 drops of Rosemary then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Massage into sore muscles. (1.7% dilution)
More from the blog: