Free shipping on all orders in the US!
pain & recovery
Many of us work too hard. With our schedules packed with errands, activities, projects and events, it’s easy for us to forget ourselves. Cajeput is an essential oil that helps remind us to take care of our hearts, minds and bodies while linking us to the natural world.
Cajeput essential oil is the ally of professional athletes, active seniors and anyone seeking to support the body after exertion. Cajeput is often combined with various mints, and other botanicals to make lotions, balms and salves for the after-shocks of strenuous exercise. Its powerful aroma is also used as an inhalant to combat the woes of seasonal maladies.
Gentle diffusion of Cajeput in office environments — with or without other essential oils — helps fight drowsiness and enliven the air with its dynamic, menthol-like aroma.
Cajeput shares a wide range of properties with Eucalyptus and Tea Tree (they are both in the same genus, Melaleuca) in natural composition and aroma. Native to Australia and Asia, Cajeput essential oil is extracted from the leaves of 50-100 foot evergreen trees using steam distillation. Much of the essential oil is produced on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.
The name “cajeput” is derived from its Indonesian name, “kayu putih” or "white wood." The trees have a grey-white papery bark and gorgeous white, pink and purple flowers. Because of its beauty, the trees are often used in landscape design and are also known as River Tea Trees, Weeping Tea Trees and Punk Tree.
Botanical Name: Melaleuca cajuputi
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Leaves
Synonym: Cajuput, River Tea Tree, Swamp Tea Tree, Weeping Tea Tree, Punk Tree
Blends Well With: Eucalyptus, Lavender, and other high cineole and floral aromas
Aroma: Medicinal, camphorous, sweet, sharp, and Tea Tree-like
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
Do not apply to or near the face of infants or children.
Shelf Life: 2-3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- There are several ways to effectively use Cajpeut essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops to 1 ounce of castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- Cajeput essential oil is extracted and steam distilled from the leaves of 50-100 foot evergreen trees found in Indonesia. It is a middle note and shares its genus, Melaleuca, which is part of the Tea Tree family. The name Cajeput comes from the Indonesian language: “kayu putih” or "white wood." Traditionally, it has been used to treat stomach problems including Cholera successfully. It's used in pain relief blends including toothaches and can be used in skin care for such things as insect bites and skin infections due to its antiseptic qualities.
- There are many outstanding qualities of cajeput, many of which are shared by Tea Tree as it carries similar properties. For the mind, it can clear the mental state to keep you focused and alert, fighting drowsiness and relieving headaches. For the physical body, it works well in blends that support sore muscles after heavy exertion and when under respiratory distress and suffering from congestion, it will help to open the breath. For the home, Cajeput is antiseptic and helps to fight germs on surfaces in the air.
- Due to this oil’s 1,8 cineole content, research has shown that this component can cause potential breathing problems and issues with the central nervous system in young children. We highly recommended that you avoid using this and other 1,8 cineole oils near the faces of babies as well as children under the age of 10. For those who suffer from asthma, 1,8 cineole oils can further restrict breathing. Test the oil with asthmatics by having them take a quick whiff of the bottle cap to determine their reaction to the essential oil property in Cajeput.
- Cajeput is uncommonly similar to Tea Tree essential oil in its aroma and they share many of the same main components. Like Tea Tree, Cajeput is medicinal and refreshing. Its herbal notes are at the same time somewhat sweet and fruity. It carries a lingering camphor aroma that is similar to a subtle menthol.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
MASSAGE OIL: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Cajeput, 5 drops of Helichrysum, 3 drops of Peppermint and 7 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake to mix well. Apply and massage into sore areas. (1.7% dilution)
INHALATION: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Cajeput, 5 drops of Tea Tree and 5 drops of Lemon. Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your Scent Ball Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
BATH SALTS: Combine: 2 drops of Cajeput, 1 drop of Peppermint and 2 drops of Frankincense with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Stir together and add to a full tub for a relaxing soak.
LINIMENT: Add the following to a 2 ounce bottle: 10 drops of Cajeput, 3 drops of Peppermint, 2 drops of Frankincense and 5 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Avocado oil. Shake well and apply to overworked muscles. (1.7% dilution)
SKIN CARE: Add to a 2 ounce bottle: 3 drops of Cajeput, 4 drops of Orange and 3 drops of Lavender (French), then fill with witch hazel and Polysorbate 20 (manufacturer's recommended amount). Shake well to combine before applying to a water-dampened cotton ball and wiping over oily areas of the skin. Add a teaspoon of this blend to a small basin of water and soak a face cloth for larger areas. Relax and keep your eyes closed, as you apply the cloth to your entire face for a refreshing mask! Shelf life: 1 week (.8% dilution)
More from the blog: