Hiking through vast and lush forest can make you feel incredibly united with nature. Fir Needle's aroma can help you forget about modern troubles and help release stress.
Although Fir trees have become synonymous with Christmas, Fir Needle essential oil's aroma is a magical addition throughout the year. Many cultures call Fir Trees the “forest healer” because of their legendary health promoting properties.
The woody, bright, fresh aroma is used to scent home and personal care products, herbal soaps and cleansers.
Derived from the needles of the evergreen tree, Fir Needle essential oil is extracted through a steam distillation process. It pairs exceptionally well with other ‘outdoor’ aromas such as Lavender, Spruce, Eucalyptus and Rosemary.
Not sure which Fir is right for you? Check out our blog on the differences here!
Botanical Name: Abies sibirica
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Needles
Aroma: Fresh, woody, similar to the scent of an open and sprawling forest
Synonym: Siberian Fir
Color: Colorless to pale yellow clear
Blends Well With: Pine, Cedarwood, Lavender, Spruce and Rosemary
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 3 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Fir Needle essential oil, Abies sibirica, is made via steam distillation. In steam distillation, plant material is placed in a still, water is added, then heat is applied to the unit. As water heats, plants release their essential oil, the oil rises with steam droplets that are sucked into a pipe and the oil and water are then separated. While it may not be possible to make Fir Needle essential oil at home, you can make aromatic hydrosol water that contains many of the same therapeutic benefits as an essential oil. Click here for instructions on how to make your own hydrosol.
- Like most other Fir essential oils, Fir Needle is an easy oil to reach for when having difficulties breathing due to cold, flu and other respiratory ailments. It’s a top note with a forest-like note with clean and fresh aromatics that can add an uplifting aura to the home. Added to a carrier oil to use as a massage oil makes an excellent choice for muscular fatigue, aches and arthritis act up - offering its anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties. Blended into aloe vera it makes a great hand cleanser for on the go use to kill germs where they stand.
- If choosing to use Fir Needle essential oil around your cat, it’s important to look out for warning signs such as behavioral differences, such as whining, scratching or acting loopy. Stop using essential oils around your cat if you notice these signs, and don’t use essential oils around kittens and pregnant cats. We don’t recommend applying essential oils to your cat or administering oils orally without consulting a holistic veterinarian. You may diffuse small amounts of oil around your cat, but be sure to do so in a well-ventilated room where your cat can leave if desired.
- As a huge word of caution, all essential oils can easily catch fire. They have low flashpoints and should be stored with fire safety in mind. Flashpoint is the temperature at which vapors can catch fire and ignite a spark or flame. Fir Needle is highly flammable and we immensely recommend that you keep all of your essential oils stored away from flames and in a cool, dark place.
- Using essential oils in a load of laundry is a great idea. To understand which oils to use, you will want to avoid essential oils with a lot of color such as the blue oils (Chamomile German, Blue Eucalyptus, etc) as they have a tendency to stain clothing. You also may want to stay away from heavier oils (Myrrh, Frankincense, Vetiver, etc). Try to stick with naturally fresh scents that can also help to remove odors such as Lemon or any of the Fir essential oils which will add their clean aromatics to the mix. If you want to go all out try making DIY laundry bombs or add 5 drops of essential oil to an unscented liquid laundry soap.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
MASSAGE BLEND: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 8 drops of Fir Needle, 5 drops of Helichrysum, 2 drops of Peppermint and 5 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake to mix well. Massage into the skin after bath or shower. Use one teaspoon of this blend in a full tub for a relaxing bath. (2% dilution)
CHEER: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Fir Needle, 5 drops of Lime and 5 drops of Lemon. Or add Fir Needle to your Thera Lux Nebulizing Diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
MENTAL FATIGUE: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Fir Needle, 5 drops of Rosemary and 5 drops of Peppermint.
INHALATION: Add the following to a 5 ml amber glass bottle: 15 drops of Fir Needle, 20 drops of Eucalyptus (Radiata), 15 drops of Tea Tree and 10 drops of Lemon, then shake to mix well. Fill a bowl with steamy water. Add to the bowl 2 drops of the essential oil mixture. Lean over the bowl and cover your head with a towel to keep the steam in. Inhale through your nose (keep your eyes closed), breathing deeply, for several minutes, or as desired.
ROOM SPRAY: Add to a 2 ounce spray bottle: 10 drops of Fir Needle, 5 drops of Frankincense and 5 drops of Orange. Fill with water and shake well before each use; mist into the air as desired. (2% dilution)
More from the blog: