Unearth the secret to mindfulness and balance with Edens Garden's Frankincense Serrata essential oil. This essential oil is a favorite among yoga instructors, naturopaths, and healers, known for its ability to inspire tranquility and equilibrium. Diffusing this oil is like embarking on a journey into stillness, a much-needed respite in our fast-paced world.
Frankincense Serrata isn't just any Frankincense; it's a variety with deep historical roots, likely referred to in the sacred texts of the Old Testament. With a brighter citrus aroma that sets it apart from other types of Frankincense, it also boasts many of the same beneficial wellness properties. It's harvested from the aromatic tree's bark, producing a milky white resin known as 'tears'—a traditional remedy for healing emotional wounds.
But the magic of Frankincense Serrata goes beyond its aroma and history. Research shows that it supports a healthy respiratory system, promotes clear, healthy-looking skin, and helps relax worked muscles and joints. It's also been noted for its deep, calming aroma that reduces stress and anxiety and improves memory recall, focus, and concentration. As a skincare ingredient, it's known to strengthen skin and improve its tone, elasticity, and defense mechanisms against bacteria or blemishes.
Incorporating Frankincense Serrata into your daily routine is simple. Add a few drops to your diffuser to create a serene environment, perfect for meditation or a relaxing yoga session. For skincare, blend it with your favorite lotion or cream, remembering to do a patch test before full application. Experience the magic of Frankincense Serrata essential oil today, and let it guide you on your wellness journey.
Not sure which Frankincense is right for you? Check out our blog on the differences here!
Botanical Name: Boswellia serrata
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Resin
Blends Well With: Lemon, Myrrh, and other citrus and resins
Aroma: Herbaceous, resinous, and earthy with piney undertones
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 1-2 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Like any essential oil used in a diffuser, Frankincense has properties that will ground and calm if you find yourself in a hectic or stressful situation. Inhaled from a diffuser it has deeply grounding and sedative properties well suited for sleep blends or when one is feeling irritated or flighty, reducing stress and anxiety.
- Frankincense is a safe oil to use on the skin but we wholly recommend using it diluted in blend with a carrier oil or butter such as Shea and beeswax. As with all essential oils, they are very concentrated and if used undiluted can potentially cause skin irritation. It can work incredibly well in salves to repair skin damage and irritation and help reduce the appearance of and heal scars.
- Frankincense has many incredible benefits. Cultivated as a resin that hardens from the sap of the tree, it can be considered a blood builder, immune enhancer and an anti-inflammatory and has incredible benefits for the skin. As a base note, it is very grounding and Its incredibly earthy and balsamic aroma has shown an ability to help quiet the mind, calm the Central Nervous System, reduce anxiety and encourage emotional healing as well as aid deep breathing.
- Frankincense-serrata essential oil can be ingested, but we suggest only doing so under supervision by a certified aromatherapist and/or physician. The Serrata species of Frankincense may be useful to assist in healthy, clear breathing, allergies, and promoting healthy and youthful-looking skin. If you do choose to ingest Frankincense, creating a capsule by combining 1 drop Frankincense-serrata and topping off with a carrier oil like olive oil in a veggie capsule is recommended by certified aromatherapists. Always take extreme caution when ingesting essential oils, and only do so under the direct supervision of a certified aromatherapist and/or physician.
- Frankincense is best used in blends for repairing skin damage or in blends for anxiety and stress. It has an ability to calm and center the mind while also uplifting the mood. Used in blends for respiratory health it can foster deeper breathing which makes it a good choice during meditation practice.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
INHALER/DIFFUSER: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops Frankincense (Serrata), 5 drops Eucalyptus (Radiata) and 5 drops Rosemary. Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your aroma diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
RELAXING BATH: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops Frankincense (Serrata), 10 drops Lavender and 5 drops Sandalwood, then fill with Jojoba oil. Shake well to blend and add 1-2 teaspoons to a full tub. (1.7% dilution) Relax and enjoy.
NIGHT TIME BLEND: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops Frankincense (Serrata), 2 drops Vetiver and 5 drops Cedarwood (Atlas). Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your aroma diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes before bedtime to wind down.
DRY SKIN FORMULA: Add to a 1 ounce pump bottle: 3 drops Frankincense (Serrata) and 2 drops Rose Bulgarian, then fill with Evening Primrose carrier oil. Shake to mix well. Pump a small amount on to your finger and apply with gentle strokes. (.8% dilution)
BODY LOTION: Add to a 4 ounce bottle with lotion pump: 15 drops Frankincense (Serrata), 10 drops Neroli, 10 drops Lavender and 5 drops Patchouli, then fill with unscented body lotion. Stir to mix well. Use as desired, after bath or shower. (1.7% dilution)
More from the blog: