Untitled-13NEWbadge-ok-for-kidsbranch-leftbranch-rightcloud-1cloud-2diyicon-accessoriesicon-add-to-carticon-carrier-oilsicon-carticon-closeicon-downloadsicon-expertsicon-for-kidsicon-gift-cardicon-gift-setsicon-hamburgericon-hydrosolsicon-magnifying-glass icon-newsicon-qualityicon-questionsicon-recipesicon-roll-onsUntitled-11icon-shippingicon-single-oilsicon-staricon-synergy-blendsVideos

Shopping Cart

There are errors with your cart:

Item
Price
Quantity
Total

Amount

Quantity

Your Cart is Empty

This or That: Lavender, French Lavender, Greek Lavender and Spike Lavender

by Edens Garden October 10, 2019

This or That: Lavender, French Lavender, Greek Lavender and Spike Lavender

You may be wondering: “What’s all the hubbub about Lavender? Is there really a difference between all these types of Lavender? What can Lavender do for me?” Well, we’re here to clear up these questions, including why we offer four varietals of Lavender essential oil.

A Little Background

The term “Aromatherapie,” or "Aromatherapy" in English, was created by French chemist René-Maurice Gattefossé in the early 1900s. Gattefossé became the poster child of Lavender essential oil. His name and famous incident are well known amongst aromatherapists. One day, while Gattefossé was working in his lab, his hand was badly burned by an explosion. Gattefossé was able to successfully treat the gangrene that resulted from the burn with Lavender essential oil. Ever since, Lavender essential oil has been researched and studied.

So let’s get into it. What’s the difference between Lavender Bulgarian, French Lavender and Spike Lavender?

Lavender

Let’s begin with traditional Lavender. Lavender Bulgarian is high in both Linalool and Linalyl acetate — two naturally occurring constituents that are renowned for their plethora of therapeutic properties. Lavender is one of the most gentle, and widely used, oils in aromatherapy. This oil is often employed for its anti-inflammatory, headache-relieving, immune-supporting and skin-healing properties. Furthermore, its function as a sedative has made it popular among aromatherapy enthusiasts. With a fresh and powdery aroma that highlights sweet, woody, herbaceous and floral notes, the luscious scent of Lavender is well-known and frequently sought in perfumery.

French Lavender

French Lavender is the fraternal twin of Lavender Bulgarian, in that it shares many of the same therapeutic benefits of the Bulgarian varietal while differing in ways that make it uniquely different. For starters, French Lavender typically has a high Linalyl acetate content but contains less Linalool. What that means is French Lavender is aggressive in treating inflammation, zapping bacteria and relieving pain. You may want to choose French Lavender over Lavender for cuts, scrapes and local pain. Its aroma is also more intense than Lavender, with balsamic undertones.

Spike Lavender

Then there’s Spike Lavender. With a high percentage of 1,8- Cineole and Camphor, this species of Lavender stands out amongst the rest. These constituents are often likened to oils such as Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Ravintsara, offering similar benefits (soothes coughs, clears congestion, promotes easy breathing). With its high percentage of Linalool, Spike Lavender is also frequently used for its stress-relieving, pain-reducing, headache-soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. The aroma of Spike Lavender is a combination of both traditional Lavender and the sharp, medicinal, camphoraceous aroma of Eucalyptus.

Greek Lavender

Our newest addition, Greek Lavender, has been used as a perfume, cooking additive and bathing supplement since the ancient Grecian era. It has the highest Linalyl acetate content of the bunch, making it a great option for skin-soothing and beauty treatments. Greek Lavender has an aroma that is true to Lavender, with sugary, yet slightly-green notes. You may like Greek Lavender if you are looking for the therapeutic properties of traditional Lavender, with a dreamy twist.

Grab The Essentials Here:

Leave a comment (Comments will be approved before showing up)

25 comments

Edens Garden

May 29, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Hi Rachel! We don’t, each Lavender works wonderfully for this purpose.

Rachel

May 29, 2020 at 9:07 am

Do you recommend one lavender over the other for soothing bug bites?

Edens Garden

April 20, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Hi S.L.! Each bottle contains a dropper. Each of our Lavender is beneficial for sleep and relaxation. Another way to use Lavender for sleep is by diffusing it or diluting and applying topically. If using French Lavender for cuts and pain, we suggest diluting and applying to the area of concern. The best way to use an oil for respiratory support is inhaling it. The best way to do this would be using a diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. Our Lavender Bulgarian is mentioned under the header “Lavender.” It’s considered the most common type of Lavender. If you have any further questions, our aromatherapists would be happy to assist you! You can contact them at: aaa@edensgarden.com

S. L. Taylor

April 20, 2020 at 4:25 pm

I did not find a specific informative paragraph above about Lavender Bulgarian. Help?

S. L. Taylor

April 20, 2020 at 4:24 pm

I am new to this. Is there an attachment to the lid that lets you select just a drop? I assume the regular Lavender is for relaxation/sleep? Other than putting a drop(s) on your pillow what is another way to use this? The French Lavender for cuts/pain — do you just put a drop on the area and rub it in? Spike Lavender says it promotes easy breathing. How do we use/apply this to promote easy breathing? Sorry for so many questions, but as I said I am new to this. I hope answers to my questions will help others also. Thank you.

Edens Garden

April 14, 2020 at 9:23 am

Hi Morgan! Greek Lavender may be our sweetest smelling Lavender and it also true to Lavender.

Morgan

April 14, 2020 at 9:16 am

Hello just wondering which one would be recommended for a diffuser? I want one that smells sweet but has a strong lavender scent too

Edens Garden

December 12, 2019 at 7:52 am

Hi Pilgrim! Based on each Lavender’s constituents, they each have slightly varying therapeutic benefits. One is not more active or passive. Rather, based on their individual components, Lavender Bulgarian is generally more supportive to the immune system whereas French Lavender is generally better for inflammation. The purpose of this article is to differentiate our Lavenders to help people choose between the variety that we offer, but please note that all of our Lavenders can be used interchangeably.

A pilgrim

December 12, 2019 at 7:44 am

Hi, I’m sorry I did not post my name but I’m concerned about my privacy. I am tied between Lavender Bulgarian and French Lavender. I do knit understand completely what is meant by the Bulgarian having better immune properties while the French is known to treat inflammation and infections. Is one more passive and the other active? Thanks!

Rachel

November 18, 2019 at 10:15 am

Is lavender oil good for nail fungus? If yes, is one kind better than another?

Edens Garden

November 4, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Hi Elise! We do not offer samples unfortunately, but we do offer a 30 day return policy – if you’re ever unsatisfied with an oil, you may return it within 30 days of purchase for a refund.

Elise

November 4, 2019 at 5:29 pm

I dont like the smell of most lavenders. My daugjter recommended your vompany because you have different ones. Do you have a way to sample them befpre I nuy a bottle?

Liz

September 25, 2019 at 9:41 am

I love your oils and your company! I want to try the Greek Lavender, sounds wonderful! I love the Spike Lavender for congestion and relaxation in the shower and in a diffuser. Regular Lavender on my pillowcase. My son has ADHD and I put some in a spray bottle for his hair in the morning so he has a good day at school. 😀

Edens Garden

August 5, 2019 at 9:19 am

Hi Sarah! Lavender oils can be used interchangeably for this purpose.

Sarah

August 5, 2019 at 9:15 am

Which lavender oil is best for teeth grinding ?

Edens Garden

July 22, 2019 at 9:06 am

Hi Stephanie! Lavender blends well with a plethora of oils. Try Eucalyptus (any), Bergamot, Peppermint, Clary Sage and citrus oils, to name a few.

Stephanie

July 22, 2019 at 8:57 am

Hi I’m wanting to make a bed spray, is there something besides other florals that I can mix with lavender. I like the smell but husband doesn’t like floral. I would like to blend it with something not floral for him

Edens Garden

June 28, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Hi Kathryn! You can’t go wrong with any of our Lavender oils, but you may want to start with Lavender Bulgarian.

Kathryn

June 28, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Which type would help sooth mosquito bites?

Edens Garden

May 15, 2019 at 10:49 am

Hi Silva! In a hair growth study on mice, a 5% dilution of Lavender in Jojoba was found to be effective. The composition of the Lavender used in this study resembles the composition of our Lavender Greek the most: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843973/

Silva Harr

May 14, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Hello. Do you know which of the lavender offerings are best to use for alopecia? Thank you!

Edens Garden

May 3, 2019 at 10:04 am

Hi Karen! Based on studies I came across, ticks seem to be controlled by Lavandula angustifolia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20433836

Karen L Branch

May 3, 2019 at 9:39 am

which Lavender would be best for use in a tick repellant for people?

Edens Garden

April 23, 2019 at 8:49 am

Hi Carli! Spike Lavender is a good option, and would also help control oily skin. Win win!

Carli

April 23, 2019 at 8:47 am

I was going to make a blend to help with acne and skin redness (and then dilute before using) with lavender. I currently only have Spike Lavender – would that work?