Welcome to the world of tranquility with Edens Garden's Roman Chamomile essential oil. Just a few drops diffused can transform your space into an oasis of serenity and wholeness. Known for its calming effect, this oil is like a soothing friend that helps relax both your body and mind.
Featuring a sweet and slightly fruity aroma that takes you on a sensory journey to fresh apple orchards and lush meadow grass, our Roman Chamomile essential oil is more than just a pleasant scent. It's derived from the daisy-like flowers of the perennial Chamomile plant through steam distillation, making it a pure and natural ingredient in various cosmetics, perfumes, and body products.
Did you know that Ancient Romans used Roman Chamomile in their beverages and burned it as incense? They even used it as a low-growing ground cover that released its fragrant scent when trodden upon, offering calming qualities to those lucky enough to inhale its aroma. You too can enjoy the versatility of this oil. Try adding a few drops to your evening bath or blend it with a carrier oil for a relaxing massage. Remember to perform a patch test before topical use. Experience the serene embrace of Roman Chamomile essential oil today—your senses will thank you!
Not sure which Chamomile is right for you? Click here to read about the differences!
Botanical Name: Anthemis nobilis
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flowers
Blends Well With: Geranium, and other florals
Aroma: Rich, sweet, slightly-fruity, and herbaceous
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 3-5 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- Roman Chamomile essential oil, Anthemis nobilis, is made via steam distillation. In steam distillation, plant material is placed in a still, water is added, then heat is applied to the unit. As water heats, plants release their essential oil, the oil rises with steam droplets that are sucked into a pipe and the oil and water are then separated. While it may not be possible to make Roman Chamomile essential oil at home without a still, you can make aromatic hydrosol water that contains many of the same therapeutic benefits as essential oil. Click here for instructions on how to make your own hydrosol.
- There are several ways to effectively use Roman Chamomile essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) For a body care blend, dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin-nourishing massage for sore muscles and even headaches. 3.) Add 6 drops to ½ up of castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for their magnesium properties. Add the mixture to your bath and soak up the goodness for at least 10-15 minutes. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go calming therapeutic use.
- Both Roman and German Chamomile contains anti anxiety, antibacterial, sedative, and analgesic properties and can be useful for soothing skin, inflammation, and calming the digestive system. German Chamomile is ideal for use on inflamed or sensitive skin such as with psoriasis, as it promotes the regeneration of damaged skin tissue. Chamomile German can also be effective as a calming agent when inhaled or when diluted and applied topically, particularly for menstrual and menopausal symptoms. With a sweet, herbaceous, more apple-like aroma, Roman Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) is extracted from the perennial, low-lying ground cover and is ideal for incorporating into sleep blends. This oil can ease allergy symptoms and may also relieve headaches, asthma and anxiety.
- Roman Chamomile has analgesic and antispasmodic properties that help to relieve soreness and muscular spasm. To naturally ease PMS symptoms, make yourself an abdominal massage oil blend following dilution guidelines with a carrier oil of your choice, Roman Chamomile and other pain and spasm relieving essential oils such as Black Spruce and Juniper Berry. Massage the oil blend in a clockwise direction (the direction of digestion) on your lower abdomen over cramps.
- To find a substitute for Roman Chamomile, lets look first at its properties. Its highly known to aid with the reduction of insomnia and the strength it carries in promoting relaxation and letting go of worry. It also touts an ability to sooth arthritic conditions and joint pain. Lavender is an oil that shares all the same qualities as an analgesic, anti-inflammatory and CNS sedative. We can also look to other floral oils such as Melissa officinalis, Clary Sage and in low dilutions, Ylang Ylang.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
INHALE: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman), 5 drops of Tea Tree and 5 drops of Orange. Or add 5-6 drops of Chamomile (Roman) to your diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes.
MASSAGE BLEND: Add a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman), 5 drops of Lavender and 5 drops of Orange, then fill with Jojoba oil and massage as needed to the body. Also makes a good body oil after showering. (1.25% dilution)
EVENING REPOSE: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman), 2 drops of Vetiver and 5 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas). Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes before bedtime to relax and unwind.
LINEN SPRAY: Add to a 4 ounce spray bottle the following: 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman), 5 drops of Cedarwood (Atlas), 2 drops of Vetiver and 5 drops of Sandalwood, along with 2 ounces of Lavender hydrosol and 2 ounces of Ylang Ylang hydrosol. Shake well before misting over sheets and bedding at night to encourage restfulness. Note: 1 week shelf life
GROUNDING BLEND: Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed: 5 drops of Chamomile (Roman), 5 drops of Bergamot and 5 drops of Ylang Ylang. Or add 5-6 drops of this blend to your diffuser and diffuse for 15-30 minutes to create a calming space.
SUGAR SCRUB: To exfoliate the skin and smooth the appearance, mix together: 6 drops of Chamomile (Roman), 4 drops of Chamomile (German), 10 drops of Lavender, 5 drops of Orange, 10 drops of Frankincense, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of Jojoba and 1/4 cup of Sesame. Stir to mix well. Use as a last step in the shower, on wet skin. Gently massage 1 tablespoon at a time over the entire body. Rinse away the sugar to leave the oils behind to nourish the skin and relax the mind and body. Note: Use spoon to scoop out and do not get wet to avoid contamination.
More from the blog: