Emollient, soothing, and great for dry skin, Sweet Almond oil is one of the most commonly used carrier oils available. A gentle option for your personal preparations, like Sunflower oil, Sweet Almond oil is appropriate for a variety of formulations and could be especially useful in dry and cold weather conditions for keeping the skin soft and moisturized. Combined with other nourishing carriers, it is a great addition to renewing products and a gentle option for use with children.
Botanical Name: Prunus dulcis
Method: Cold Pressed
Aroma: Sweet Almond has a very subtle aroma with hints of nuttiness
Consistency: Typical and characteristic of carrier oils
Color: Pale yellow to golden yellow
Absorption: Sweet Almond absorbs at average speed into skin, and leaves a slightly oily feel
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician. Do not use if you have a tree nut allergy.
OK For Kids: 2+
Shelf Life: 1 Year
- Sweet Almond oil is touted for its hydration benefits for the scalp to add moisture with dry scalp conditions such as dandruff. You can also use it directly on hair strands by rubbing a few drops on the palms of your hands and brushing your fingers through your hair, especially paying attention to the ends. Brush it in further with a wooden comb to add shine and smooth out frizzy hair.
- A gentle option for kids and those with sensitive skin, Sweet Almond oil is often used in massage oil as well as with aromatic preparations with essential oils. Its component list includes oleic acid, linoleic acid and a smaller portion of palmitic and stearic acids. These constituents are often used in body care applications to improve skin tone for dry, chapped and irritated skin conditions to reduce redness and inflammation. It has a comedogenic rating of 2 out of 5 and most likely will not clog pores. For those with skin sensitivity, we recommend performing a skin patch test on the inner arm and testing for issues of redness, itchiness or irritation.
- Sweet Almond oil is an unrefined, non-volatile oil that is cold pressed from the seeds or nuts of the Prunus dulcis tree that originates from Southwest Asia and the Middle East. It has many health benefits for use in skin care for dry skin, stretch marks and to improve skin tone. It is employed often for use in soap making and in hair care. It contains vitamin E as well as numerous essential fatty acids such as oleic acid. Try blending it with other carrier oils such as Fractionated Coconut oil.
- Sweet Almond oil is absolutely safe to ingest. It is full of monounsaturated fatty acids that help to improve the good levels of cholesterol (HDL) while at the same time lowering bad cholesterol (LDL). This is in comparison with Bitter Almond oil which is not recommended for cooking or internal use. For those with tree nut allergies, it is not advised to ingest since it may trigger an allergic reaction.
- Sweet Almond has a barely imperceptible odor that is faintly sweet, soft and nutty. It has a pale yellow to a golden hue and a light to medium viscosity. Its appearance on the skin dissipates quickly and absorbs well, leaving only a mildly oily feel on the skin and is an excellent oil to use as a carrier for essential oil preparations or as a massage oil for its numerous skin benefits.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. Alternatively, use Carrier Oils alone as a natural moisturizer. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
Nuts About Moisture Lip Roller!
10 ml roller bottle
4 ml Sweet Almond Oil
2 ml Macadamia Oil
2 ml Hazelnut Oil
3 drops Coco Vanilla Synergy Blend
Add the Coco Vanilla Synergy Blend drops to the 10 ml roller bottle and then top with the Sweet Almond Oil, Macadamia Oil, and Hazelnut Oil. Cap and turn the bottle back and forth gently to mix. Swipe over your lips for quick, on-the-go, glossy moisture!
Talk to your doctor prior to use if you have any nut allergies.
More from the blog: