15 Of Our Best Essential Oil Hacks!
Learning about essential oils for the first time can be a little overwhelming. From Lavender to Helichrysum, each oil has a range of effective uses and possible recipes. To simplify your EO journey, we’ve created a cheat sheet of 15 essential oil hacks for everyday use. Add your own essential oil hacks in the comments below!
- Oil not dispensing? If you oil isn’t dispensing, it’s probably thick. Try running the bottle under warm water to thin the oil out. Also, widen the dropper by inserting a pin or toothpick.
- Diffusing thick oils. Blend a thick oil with a thin oil to diffuse in a nebulizer, or a diffuser in which the oil runs through a tube. Diffusing a thick oil alone might clog the tubing.
- Roll-On top won’t go in? Place your roll-on bottle on a flat surface. Using a hard, sturdy object, press the roll-on top with force into the bottle. We’ve found that most deodorant containers work well, because the bottom of the container is concave and fits the roll-on top.
- Dilution rate converter. Depending on the recipe, dilution rates may vary. Here’s how to convert. A 1% dilution rate equals to 5-6 drops of essential oil per 2 Tbsp (1 oz/ 30 ml) of carrier oil. The amount of carrier oil will always be the same, but the amount of essential oils will multiply by the dilution rate. For example:
- 3% dilution rate equals 15-18 drops of essential oil (5-6 multiplied by the dilution rate, which is 3) per 2 Tbsp of carrier oil.
- 10% dilution rate equals 50-60 drops of essential oil (5-6 multiplied by the dilution rate, which is 10) per 2 Tbsp of carrier oil.
- Storing EOs in the fridge? You can extend the shelf life of your essential oils, but might also make your food taste off. When storing EOs in the fridge, it’s recommended that you put the bottles in a plastic bag or container.
- Diffusing without a diffuser. Put a few drops of oil on your vents, or boil a pot of water with EOs in them.
- Have some empty EO bottles? There are plenty of creative, earth-wise ways to recycle empty EO bottles. Here are some examples.
- Measuring carrier oils. As you may know, our EGCOs do not contain droppers. The solution: measure carrier oils using measuring spoons.
- EOs and plastic? Don’t mix. However, PET plastic is specially treated to prevent essential oils from eating away at plastic. You can purchase PET plastic online, or use glass containers for your EO products.
- Limit cravings. Gently inhale Peppermint and Cinnamon straight from the bottle to reduce your appetite.
- Get rid of grease. Before washing your clothes, rub a few drops of Lemon essential oil to the stain.
- Energize: Rub 2-3 diluted drops of Wild Orange essential oil to your palm and gently inhale for 30 seconds.
- Enliven your lotion: Drop 2-4 drops of Bergamot and 2-4 drops of Grapefruit to an unscented lotion to add a natural aroma.
- Vacuum refresher: Add 3-5 drops of Ylang Ylang to a cotton ball and place in the bag of the vacuum.
- Trashcan deodorizer: Add 2-4 drops of Tea Tree and Lemon to a cotton ball and place at the bottom of the trash can.