Can Essential Oils Help With Neuropathy?- AAA
No matter how long we’ve been in the aromatherapy industry, we at Edens Garden find ourselves awestruck at times, by the power of essential oils. We felt that way as we reviewed the potential benefits of aromatherapy towards neuropathic pain and we think you will too.
In this guide, we’re discussing symptoms and causes of neuropathy, ways to prevent it as well as covering the latest studies and research on aromatherapy and neuropathy. Read on to find out more.
What Is Neuropathy?
Peripheral neuropathy is damage to nerves outside of the spine and brain. Symptoms of neuropathy depend on the type of nerves that have been damaged – sensory, motor or autonomic.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
The following are the most common neuropathy symptoms:
- Numbness, tingling or prickling feeling in feet, hands, arms or legs
- Jabbing, burning, throbbing pain
- Poor coordination
- Extreme sensitivity to touch
- Feeling like something’s covering your feet and hands
- Muscle weakness
- Heat intolerance
- Excessive sweating or no sweating
- Bowel, bladder or digestive issues
Causes of Neuropathy
Common causes of neuropathy include:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Vitamin deficiencies
How To Prevent Neuropathy
To prevent neuropathy, doctors recommend taking preventative measures against common causes of neuropathy (diabetes, infection, etc.). It’s also recommended that you eat a healthy, vitamin-rich diet, exercise and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Can Essential Oils Help With Neuropathy?
Studies on essential oils’ effects on neuropathic pain have been promising. Here’s what scientists have found:
- Diabetes patients with neuropathy pain were randomly assigned to an aromatherapy massage group or given routine care. The aromatherapy group received massages three times per week for four weeks, using a 5% dilution of Rosemary oil, Geranium oil, Lavender oil, Eucalyptus oil and Chamomile oil diluted in Coconut oil. Compared to the control group, the aromatherapy group experienced significant pain relief and improved quality of life.
- Scientists from the University of Florence, Italy gave subjects with neuropathic pain from nerve damage Lavender essential oil. The doctors concluded that Lavender essential oil lowered nerve pain symptoms and showed signs of anti-depressive and anxiolytic action.
- Doctors instructed diabetic neuropathy patients to massage a 3% dilution of Lavender oil onto their feet for 10 minutes every night for a month. A placebo group was instructed to massage carrier oil onto their feet nightly and a control group was given only routine care. By the end of the study, the aromatherapy group had significant pain reduction and increased quality of life as opposed to the control and placebo groups.
How To Use Essential Oils For Neuropathic Pain
Based on the above studies, the best essential oils for neuropathic pain are some of the most commonly used and versatile. Here’s an essential oil recipe we recommend for assisting with symptoms of neuropathy.
3 drops Rosemary
3 drops Geranium
3 drops Lavender
3 drops Eucalyptus
3 drops Chamomile
2 tablespoons Carrier Oil
Combine and apply the essential oil blend to hands and feet nightly, or as needed. This blend can also be used as a general pain reliever or for muscle spasms and tension.
Your Source For Natural Pain Relief
At Edens Garden, we offer top-tier education on how aromatherapy can improve your daily life. And because we know that pain and discomfort can adversely affect one’s quality of life, this is a subject we’ve done a lot of research on. From growing pains and sore muscles to arthritis and kidney stones, our blog is an excellent place to get much-needed information on how essential oils can assist with pain relief. Find out how aromatherapy can improve your daily life by browsing our blog today.
- Peripheral neuropathy. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352061
- Aromatherapy Massage for Neuropathic Pain and Quality of Life in Diabetic Patients. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28605119/
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia Mill.) Essential Oil Alleviates Neuropathic Pain in Mice With Spared Nerve Injury. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6521744/
- The effects of aromatherapy massage with lavender essential oil on neuropathic pain and quality of life in diabetic patients: A randomized clinical trial. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34217127/