Unveiling The Magic Of Calming The Mind Essential Oil Blend
There is no question that our world has become increasingly hectic. To balance the chaos, we need to strive to make time for and experience quieter moments in life, intentionally seeking out stillness, especially during or after a long work day. Finding time for these moments helps us get through whatever a day may throw at us however stressful they may be. For example, it’s important to take the time for lunch and seek out a quiet corner rather than working through it. This helps to gather thoughts and gives the brain a chance to normalize amid the chaos.
There are several ways to achieve and find a few moments of rest each day, including unplugging from technology, savoring occasions with family and friends, spending time outdoors and engaging in mindfulness practices. These times are not a luxury but a necessity to better navigate the ups and downs with greater stability. It is a guide to balance our well-being and mental health to enhance one’s quality of life.
The Importance Of Finding Calm Amidst Chaos
Finding moments of calm and stillness in our busy lives allows us to approach each day with grace and ease. Taking quiet moments supports our brains’ ability to focus and subconsciously sort out our experiences, day in and day out. To prioritize self-care and develop healthy coping mechanisms it’s important to find the outlets that work best for each individual. We don't all respond to stress in the same way, some being more resilient than others. Regardless, we all need strategies to reduce stress such as setting realistic goals, having social support and even seeking professional help, if needed.
Some outstanding reasons to create moments of serenity and quiet (1,2,3):
- Stress Reduction: Reducing a constant stream of stressful input helps calm the sympathetic nervous system. When we are stuck in a phase of continual stress, hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline flood our system potentially leading to inflammation, digestive issues, sleep trouble, high blood pressure and other possible ill health issues such as autoimmune disease.
- Better Mental and Physical Health: Self-reflection reduces a bombardment of stimuli, quiets the mind and reduces anxiety and stress in turn boosting our self-worth. This leads to a raised mood, an improved immune system and even better sleep. A fun fact: laughing reduces stress hormones!
- Clarity and Focus: Moments of stillness allow us to concentrate on what truly matters. Putting aside multitasking and external stimuli allows us to make better decisions and makes us more resilient. Reducing stress input can also positively benefit our creativity and improve our problem-solving skills.
- Better Relationships: Composing ourselves to better handle stress fosters better communication with family, friends and colleagues. Creating moments for peace of mind helps to diffuse feelings of being overwhelmed so that you can be present when you most need to be in the moment.
- Unhealthy Coping Mechanisms: Those who find themselves under chronic stress may engage in unhealthy coping behaviors, such as overeating, substance abuse, or withdrawal from social activities which sadly can further erode well-being and mental health.
Having outlets to improve well-being and mental health, gives us more patience to deal with stressors and therefore undeniably impacts overall physical and mental health. Here at Edens Garden, stress-reducing strategies should also include incorporating essential oils into your daily life.
Via olfactory receptors in the nasal cavity, the constituents of essential oils act upon the Limbic System of the brain, specifically the Amygdala (our brain's processing center of emotions). The Limbic System sends out signals to the hormone centers of the body which assists it in striving for homeostasis and stability. When we are under constant strain day in and day out, stress hormones can manifest into physical and mental problems that lead to disease and disharmony within the body. Aromatherapy has shown an ability to calm the stress response and reduce stress hormone levels. (4)
Calming The Mind essential oil is an amalgam of sweet florals and sturdy base notes that comfort us in times of chaos and allow stillness to smooth away stress and rough edges to usher in tranquility and serenity. Its blend of grounding oils such as Frankincense, Sandalwood, and Patchouli comes to our aid when life gets thrown off-kilter to quiet the mind and reduce stress and irritation. It is Eden Gardens' go-to blend when looking for moments of stillness amid the chaos of life, even if it's only a few minutes of deep breathing exercises between events of the day. It is exceptional in fortifying stress-reducing activities such as guided meditation and yoga practice.
The Aroma Profile Of Calming The Mind Blend
Formerly known as Be Still, Calming The Mind has a slightly musky and earthy aromatic with wisps of underlying floral notes. It is a combination of base note essential oils such as Frankincense, Patchouli and Sandalwood united with heart-soothing florals of Rose, Cistus, Amyris and Ylang Ylang which work in unison to calm the heart by reducing blood pressure, heart rate and cortisol levels. (5,6,7)
As an OK for Kids 2+ blend, it is safe to use around children over the age of two to help quell the anxiety and stress of school and other activities they must cope with. We know that everyone has likes and dislikes especially when it comes to aromas. For this reason, Edens Garden has many mood blends to choose from. Select any number of blends here including handcrafted Room Sprays, Roll-Ons and essential oil blends.
Quieting The Mind And Reducing Stress
As base notes, Frankincense, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang and Osmanthus, bring one's energy down and help to focus the mind. Ylang Ylang, although as a single oil, it may be too intense for some, it blends beautifully with other oils and is beneficial for its relaxing effects on inner tension and its competence in fortifying the body, heart, and mind. It is a heart-centric oil that naturally reduces blood pressure. (8)
The middle-base note floral oils are gentle and promote strength in the user. Rose- Bulgarian comforts, centers and calms the heart, eases the mind and reduces instances of emotional worry and tension and soothes distress. Cistus (aka Rock Rose) adds a hint of smoky sweetness to the blend and is known for its ability to overcome grief and comfort moments of anguish and distress. Amyris is earthy and balsamic and noted for its ability to reduce stress and collaborate with the other oils in this blend to encourage mental clarity and motivate a lackluster mood by stimulating focus and concentration.
Attainable Peace And Calm With Aromatherapy
Calming The Mind essential oil blend can be made into a topical skin care and massage oil blend by diluting it with a carrier oil or unscented cream. Applied to pulse points around the neck and head and massaged into the chest bone above the heart, this topical treatment intrinsically treats the reduction of stress and gets absorbed via the skin into the bloodstream and travels around your body to even out stress levels.
To blend into a carrier oil or cream, it's best to use this blend at a 2-3% dilution or 12-18 drops of essential oil to 1 ounce of carrier. For safe dilutions see our chart here. When using new essential oils and products topically, we highly recommend performing a skin patch test to avoid skin irritation. A quick DIY recipe that can be used anytime for anxiety and stress and even before settling down to sleep, add 12-18 drops of Calming The Mind to 1 oz of your favorite unscented lotion base or carrier such as Jojoba oil and apply to pulse points. With the oil blend still on your hand you can further reap its rewards by cupping your hands over your nose and breathing in deeply 4-5 times.
An alternate mode of transport for Calming The Mind is via inhalation. Embracing the use of a diffuser or an on-the-go essential oil inhaler (which can be packed with salts rather than cotton) will still your mind so that you can escape the hectic influences and bring your stress levels back to normal. For instructions on how to use your diffuser or nasal inhaler, we suggest you refer to the product page. For general diffuser use, we recommend no more than 6 drops per 100 ml of water.
And lastly, for a spa-like experience, make a DIY bath salt blend. Soaking in a warm tub with the exquisitely fused Calming The Mind blend will give you both the meditative moments you need to defuse stress after a long day. To get your home spa experience started, run a warm bath and blend the following: In a bowl, add 6 drops of Calming The Mind or other Mood blends of your choice to 2 cups of Epsom salt, ½ cup baking soda and 2 tablespoons of Castile soap. Once the bath is ready, pour the salt blend and swirl with your hand to dissolve the salts. Light a candle or use ambient light to set the mood and put some mentally calming music on your bluetooth speaker. Soak up the goodness for 15-20 minutes and enjoy the new you.
The Holistic Benefits Of Calming The Mind
Using holistic means and plant medicine to treat instances of stress and tension will naturally improve one’s ability to relax, enhance physical health and homeostasis as well and bring about a positive mentality. Essential oils work selflessly to improve how a body reacts to stress. By instituting a regimen of self-care in one’s routine, happiness and relationships with the outside world will transform for the better.
So many users have witnessed their lives renewed with the use of Calming The Mind essential oil blend. From hectic days in the office in a post-pandemic world, many users wrote of their experience of being extremely stressed and overwhelmed at work. They state that no other blend has helped like Calming The Mind and they put it to use when needing to take a step back from life for a breather. Placing a few drops of this go-to blend in a diffuser, and closing the eyes melts the day away, brings peace and calms nerves. Applying it infused into a carrier oil and wearing it as a natural perfume each day gives the user a chance to smell it throughout the day. Adding that not only does it smell divine but it gives them a feeling of unexplainable weightlessness, calming and stillness.
- Stress Management: Meditation, Relaxation, Health Benefits https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/6409-stress-management-and-emotional-health
- Aromatherapy & Essential Oils for Relaxation and Stress Relief https://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/aromatherapy-overview
- Stressed Out? Aromatherapy Can Help You Feel Better https://health.clevelandclinic.org/stressed-out-aromatherapy-can-help-you-to-feel-calmer/#:~:text=Less%20anxiety,anxious%20and%20more%20positive%20immediately.
- Amygdala: What it is and What it Controls https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/body/24894-amygdala
- Rose Oil: What are the Benefits https://www.healthline.com/health/rose-oil#2
- Effects of Ylang-Ylang Aroma on Blood Pressure and Heart Rate in Healthy Men https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836517/#:~:text=According%20to%20Hongratanaworakit%20et%20al,et%20al.%2C%202008).
- 15 Best Essential Oils to Relieve Anxiety and Stress https://www.cnet.com/health/mental/15-best-essential-oils-for-anxiety-and-stress/
- Relaxing Effect of Ylang Ylang Oil on Humans After Transdermal Absorption https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16807875/