An exquisite essential oil that heals and protects, Helichrysum-Italicum is beyond beautiful. It is used as a fixative in perfumes but is gorgeous when enjoyed on its own.
Helichrysum-Italicum has a musky, slightly honey-sweet and pleasantly pungent aroma like wild sage, making it ideal for pairing with Peppermint and other minty essential oils.
Helichrysum is sometimes called Immortelle or Everlasting, since it is among the wide variety of ‘straw flowers’. It is used enhance youthful skin and applied to sore muscles to recover from overdoing exercise.
Native to the Mediterranean, Edens is sourced from northern Italy; considered a premier growing region for this plant. Helichrysum is a flowering plant of the daisy family (Asteraceae). It grows up to about 2 feet in height and blooms pretty yellow flowers. There are more than 500 species of Helichrysum. The leaves and flowers are put through a steam distillation process to extract the essential oil.
Not sure which Helichrysum is right for you? Check out our blog on the differences here!
Botanical Name: Helichrysum italicum
Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Flowers/Leaves
Synonym: Immortelle, Everlasting, Curry Plant
Blends Well With: Peppermint, and other mints
Aroma: Slightly-sweet, musky, and vegetative
Safety: Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult physician. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not use internally unless instructed by a licensed aromatherapist or physician.
OK For Kids: 2+
Kids Max Dilution: 1%
Shelf Life: 7 Years
Pet Safety: Essential oils are generally safe to diffuse around adult cats and dogs intermittently. Ensure the room you’re diffusing in is well-ventilated and that your pet can leave if desired. Discontinue use if you notice any adverse reaction. Avoid topical use and diffusing around young pets, small animals or pets with health problems.
- There are several ways to effectively use Helichrysum essential oil and obtain its benefits, including 1.) Add 10 drops to your essential oil diffuser per 100 ml of water. 2.) Dilute 12 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil and use in a skin healing and skin nourishing massage. 3.) Add 6 drops Helichrysum to 1 ounce of Castille soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt for added magnesium absorption. Add the mixture to your bath to help protect and relieve itching and irritated skin. 4.) Add 10 drops to an Essential Oil Inhaler and take it with you for on-the-go therapeutic use.
- Because essential oils are 100% pure and undiluted, only a little is needed to be effective. To use Helichrysum essential oil on your skin, we recommend first diluting it in a high quality carrier oil such as Jojoba Oil or Rosehip Seed Oil. For facial use, dilute Helichrysum oil to 1% by combining 1 ounce of carrier oil with 6 drops of Helichrysum oil. A massage oil can be diluted to 3% by combining 1 ounce of carrier oil with 18 drops of Helichrysum oil. Using undiluted essential oils topically can cause skin irritation and for this reason, we always recommend diluting your essential oil for dermal use.
- There are not many studies to back up the claim that Helichrysum essential oil helps to relieve tinnitus. However, according to the website run by The American Academy of Audiology, using essential oils diluted into a massage oil blend can help to “soothe inflammation that causes tinnitus to ear infections.” They continue, “massage is the best way to apply EOs to help relieve symptoms. The best places to apply them include behind the ear, all over the neck, on the ear lobe, or on the outer ear canal.”
- Helichrysum is known for its ability to help the physical body as an analgesic, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory. Chamomile- German has strength as an antiallergenic to relieve topical skin irritation as well as highly sought after for wound, bruise and scar healing and other soft tissue injuries. It is recommended only to use Helichrysum on skin that is fully healed. If Helichrysum is used on open skin before underlying tissue has healed, it can trap bacteria and cause infection. For the emotional mind, it is effective to help with old trauma and balancing the psyche.
- Helichrysum italicum is a fabulous essential oil to use in massage oil blends for its restorative and superior healing abilities for topical muscular pain, spasm and inflammation as well as other physical issues. It has antispasmodic, analgesic and anti-inflammatory constituents that do not go unnoticed in massage oil and other topical treatment blends such as muscle and joint rubs.
Apply Topically: Our Single Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are 100% pure and undiluted. To apply to the skin, dilute with a high-quality Carrier Oil. See our dilution chart here. We recommend performing a skin patch test when using a new essential oil topically.
Diffuse & Inhale: Breathe in your favorite essential oils using an essential oil diffuser or personal pocket inhaler. For instructions on how to use your diffuser, please refer to the diffuser's product page.
DIYs: Explore simple and fun recipes on The Drop, our essential oil blog with expert tips, EO news, and informative reads.
MASSAGE BLEND: Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle: 10 drops of Helichrysum (Italicum), 2 drops of Birch, 2 drops of Peppermint and 6 drops of Copaiba, then fill with Jojoba oil and shake to mix well. Apply enough of this mixture to cover any painful areas and massage into the skin. (2% dilution)
RELIEF: Add to a 5 ml roller bottle: 2 drops of Helichrysum (Italicum), 1 drop of Black Pepper and 2 drops of Lavender (Bulgarian or French) and 1 teaspoon of Macadamia oil. Apply to impact injuries, the sooner the better for best results.
BATH SALTS: Combine: 5 drops of Helichrysum (Italicum) and 3 drops of Lavender with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and 1/2 cup of Epsom salts. Stir together and add to a full bath for a relaxing muscle soak.
SKIN SOOTHER: Add to a 1 ounce bottle with lotion and pump dispenser: 3 drops of Helichrysum (Italicum) and 2 drops of Lavender, then shake to mix well. Pump a small amount onto your finger and apply with gentle strokes to any irritation. (1% dilution)
MATURE SKIN: Add: 1 drop of Helichrysum (Italicum) to 1 teaspoon of Rosehip oil. Apply to face, throat and the back of hands. (1% dilution)
More from the blog: