Can Essential Oils Help With Memory?
When we become overwhelmed - anxiety, stress, fatigue and even insomnia can affect our mental health. An extremely busy day requires acute mental focus and optimal cognitive function and memory. But when life throws us a curveball, causing stress, lack of sleep, etc, memory and mental clarity issues can affect our daily activities, work and personal relationships.
Cognitive performance issues include memory lapses, brain fog, lack of focus and concentration, and even issues with nervous system function. It's well known that eating healthy meals, exercising, getting better sleep and reducing anxiety can have a profound effect on bettering many mental health concerns including memory. And thankfully, mother nature has a little something else up her sleeve that has proven talent in boosting memory retention, focus and mental clarity.
Essential oils have many plausible benefits for brain health. In fact, inhalation of essential oil components, when absorbed by the nasal mucosa via the limbic system can immediately affect memory and brain function by altering one's mood, improving circulation and energy level and enhancing concentration and focus - especially when many of these conditions strike later in the day when we are tired.
Memory and Brain Fog
Memory is directly affected by brain fog. Brain fog is brought on by lack of sleep, fatigue, long work hours, hormonal changes, allergies and even illnesses such as long Covid. It is often characterized by being forgetful, having cloudy thoughts and difficulty focusing.
Direct inhalation of essential oil aromatics can either stimulate (energize) or inhibit (calm) one's cognitive function depending on an oil's properties. Using essential oils via inhalation will heighten mental clarity, intensify focus and concentration and mitigate anxiety and stress.
What essential oils improve brain function?
There are a number of essential oil studies linked to improved cognitive performance including that of memory. Lavender essential oil, being the most versatile essential oil, showed “statistically significant differences in productivity of the short-term memory.” There is a direct link where those who suffer from anxiety with that of focus and concentration. Besides lavender, other anxiety-relieving essential oils include citrus and grounding base note oils such as wood and resin oils.
The nervous system plays an important primary role in the elemental function of memory. When a person has to confront chronic or persistent anxiety daily, memory loss has the potential to occur. By incorporating essential oils in the citrus and base note families into one's daily routine, memory function will improve due to the nerve-calming effects of these oils.
Along with numerous other oils in Edens Garden Concentration & Memory essential oil blend, you will find it to help tackle issues of cognitive performance by reducing anxiety and stress, improving sleep, thereby improving memory, mental clarity and focus. Let's take a deeper look. There is a long list of essential oils in this blend whose main properties help to calm and reduce anxiety and have a sedative effect on the mind.
Outside of Lavender, Concentration & Memory contains a combination of unique essential oils such as Blue Cypress, Elemi, Gurjun Balsam, Damiana and Galbanum that are antidepressant, antianxiety, balancing, grounding, calming and comforting to the nerves which will all help to improve sleep and mental health. And then on the other hand, there are oils such as Balm Mint Bush, Lime, Tangerine and Juniper berry which are cooling, invigorating, energizing, uplifting and stimulating giving a lift to your mental clarity. The aroma of Concentration & Memory essential oil blend is sweet, herbal and spicy with depth and assurance to bring mental focus into perspective.
What scent improves memory?
Memory is improved by oils that are stimulating to the central nervous system. Uplifting citrus and stimulating herbal essential oils fit snuggly into this category. Due to the content of 1,8 cineole and piperitone, Balm Mint Bush is one in particular that can stimulate the mind while also calming the nervous system with its linalool content.
Juniper Berry essential oil improves circulation and offers a positive impact on brain function and chemistry, it can also assist those dealing with emotional stress. It has a stimulating aromatic while also being protective and anxiolytic. Tangerine and Lime as well as other citrus essential oils are known for their ability to increase energy and remove negative emotions. As citrus oils instill their sunshine in your mind - they will effectively put a kibosh on any dour mood all the while improving memory.
What is the best essential oil for mental clarity?
As mentioned previously, there are a number of things we can put into motion to aid mental clarity such as practicing healthy sleep hygiene and diet, managing stress and exercising and balancing work-life scenarios. But, when needed, essential oils can be an incredible boost to nudge your body and mind in the right direction.
We all have stressful moments in our lives and nights where the right amount of sleep just isn't in the cards. To naturally help to stave off mental fatigue and improve mental clarity so that you can get through a long day ahead, it's best to first reduce the anxiety and stress that may be giving you circular thoughts at night.
As with all anxiety attacks, the sense of it seems high above our heads giving a chance for grounding oils in Concentration & Memory their shining moment. By firmly bringing your energy down, grounding oils of Elemi, Gurjun Balsam and Vanilla can help to turn off the merry-go-round your brain is on. Once your brain has centered itself, the stimulating herbal oils found in this blend such as balm mint bush and juniper berry are spectacular at snapping your mind to attention and giving you the focus you need for work and family.
You can't go wrong in using Concentration & Memory in any number of ways. Here are a few options to try:
- Steam inhalation. Add 1-2 drops of Concentration & Memory essential oil blend to a glass or ceramic bowl of steaming hot water. Drape a towel over your head and close your eyes, place your face about 8-12 inches over the bowl, and breathe in deeply for several minutes.
- With a home/office diffuser such as the Edens Garden Terrazzo or Diamond diffuser.
- Essential oil Nasal Inhaler: follow our simple instructions on the product page for personal inhaler use.
- Mio Mist Diffuser: This convenient little personal device is spectacular for taking on the go while traveling, or even just back and forth to work. It lets out a stream of vapor and essential oils for 1 minute at a time. To fill the product, please read and follow the Mio Mist instructions.
- Make a Room Spray: Blend 15-20 drops of Concentration & Memory with a high-proof grain alcohol (such as Everclear) in a 4 oz glass bottle with a pump spritzer and let sit overnight. The next morning, add distilled water to the top, shake and use it around the house and even on your clothing.
- As a body blend following safe dilution blending into an unscented cream or carrier oil
Outside of essential oils, other ways you can improve your mental health are to take frequent breaks from work, take a walk in the sun, exercise with some yoga poses, meditate and even drink enough water to stay fully hydrated. When you have the ability to let go, it will then be your turn to give your attention and focus to this incredible world around us.
- Lifting the fog https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9187342/
- Brain Fog and Fatigue following COVID-19 Infection https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9737348/
- Caught in the thickness of brain fog: exploring the cognitive symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3617392/
- Essential Oils and Brain Health https://fullscript.com/blog/brain-health-essential-oils?ckc=denied
- Effects of odorant administration on objective and subjective measures of sleep quality, post-sleep mood and alertness, and cognitive performance https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2003-06686-005
- Effect of Inhaled Lavender and Sleep Hygiene on Self-Reported Sleep Issues: A Randomized Controlled Trial https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26133206/
- The Effect of Aromatherapy on Sleep Quality of Elderly People Residing in a Nursing Home https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29210873/
- Therapeutic Effect and Mechanisms of Essential Oils in Mood Disorders: Interaction between the Nervous and Respiratory Systems https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8125361/
- The Relationship Between Anxiety and Memory Loss https://www.rivier.edu/academics/blog-posts/the-relationship-between-anxiety-and-memory-loss/#:~:text=One%20part%20of%20the%20body,and%20memory%20loss%20are%20associated.