Minty Fresh Relief | The Secret Weapon For Soothing Sore Muscles
Regardless of age, there are numerous anecdotes of those living with unnecessary pain and soreness. Muscle issues, including soreness, can arise from many conditions including hard physical labor, exercise and overexertion to overuse as well as other minor injuries. Sore, tense muscles also arise due to tension and stress, infections such as the flu, dehydration, overheating and even some medical diagnoses such as fibromyalgia. (1)
Experiencing this soreness, whether short or long-term, can impact one’s ability to enjoy life due to the physical discomfort and physical limitations it sets. Simultaneously, chronic pain and soreness can include consequences that disrupt one’s social life and emotional well-being. With respect to balancing and experiencing a full life, managing and finding relief from sore muscles is something we should never shy away from.
Understanding Sore Muscle Relief
Sore muscle relief is important for physical and emotional well-being. By relieving sore muscles and moving past pain, mobility is improved, better sleep is achieved, stress is reduced and further injury is prevented. This positive motion enables you to be future-minded and find the inspiration to explore physical activity. When physically ready and able to achieve the goals of a more active lifestyle, psychological well-being can be enriched leading to an improvement in mood and an increase in productivity.
The Key Ingredients for Relief
During the body’s recovery phase following an injury, it is important to follow up with physical therapy and/or strength training per the doctor's orders. But did you know that you can fortify recovery with aromatherapy? Edens Garden essential oil blend Sore Muscles & Pain Ease, previously known as Circu-Touch, has bright minty and herbal aromatics from the super pain-relieving Peppermint essential oil and other powerhouse essential oils in this blend that fortify the body and stabilize the mood. For example, Cypress improves circulation and joyous Sweet Marjoram has the fortitude to diffuse muscular tension.
There are several reasons the essential oils in this blend were chosen. Not only do they beautifully meld and complement each other aromatically but their strength truly lies in reducing pain, spasm and tension giving rise to an ease of movement and reinforcing mental stability.
Here are a few virtues of this blend’s talent:
- Antispasmodic: Basil, Cypress, Lavender, Peppermint oil and Sweet Marjoram have all been studied for their antispasmodic natures. Reducing muscle spasms is one of the first steps to recovery from muscle spasm and pain. (2)
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Along with Basil, Cypress, Grapefruit, Lavender, Peppermint and Sweet Marjoram, reducing inflammation helps the body to heal and recover. (3,4,5,6)
- Analgesic: without pain relief, healing is delayed adding to stress and a diminished quality of life. Basil, Cypress, Grapefruit, Lavender, Peppermint and Sweet Marjoram were specifically chosen for the constituents such as Linalool, Linalyl acetate, a-pinene, menthol and d-limonene and have exemplary pain relief abilities for tight muscle and an overall multifaceted performance for healing physically and mentally. (7,8,9,10,11)
- Skin penetration enhancer: Due to the small size molecules of monoterpenes found in Grapefruit and Basil, these oils enhance the ability of larger molecules to be absorbed topically and penetrate into muscle tissue targeting muscle aches, joint pain and soreness when added to massage oils or creams. (12)
- Circulation Stimulant: Some essential oils can improve circulation by dilating blood vessels. Peppermint improves blood flow by relaxing and dilating blood vessels in turn improving circulation. Cypress acts as an astringent, toning and strengthening blood vessels which stimulates blood flow and increases circulation. These actions help heal and repair tissue and help remove water retention. (13)
- Immune Stimulant: Certain essential oils are immune modulators with the ability to stimulate and increase the production and activity of white blood cells and interfere with inflammation. Grapefruit, Lavender, Peppermint and Sweet Marjoram all have actions in this category. (14,15,16)
- Mood Enhancer: When coping with pain, stress and anxiety can creep into the mindset amplifying negativity. Counteract this sentiment with mood-boosting, stress relieving and anti-depressant essential oils in this blend such as Grapefruit, Lavender, Peppermint and Sweet Marjoram.
Sore Muscles & Pain Ease is a cool, bright and minty essential oil blend that gains its strength by expanding both physical and emotional stability and fighting fatigue. (7) When looking to give yourself an overall boost both physically and mentally, this blend will open the breath and comfort mood by melting away muscular and nervous tension, improving mobility and augmenting circulation throughout the entire body triggering a brighter and more positive outlook overall.
Using the Blend for Muscle Spasms
As many of us may know from experience, muscle spasms, pain and discomfort can contribute to excess stress and anxiety and if not addressed and cured can even lead down the road to depression. Finding relief from spasms and pain whether from short-term or chronic maladies can contribute to our future happiness, well-being and the ability to maintain a productive lifestyle.
Seeking advice from a doctor or physical therapist to rest and recover properly, practice exercises to strengthen weak muscles and include a stretching regimen or yoga practice to gradually build a training regimen. Over time, muscle aches will begin to heal and regain the needed mobility and enthusiasm for life.
So how is it best used?
Along with other Massage oil blends from Edens Garden to reduce muscle tension and soreness, muscle spasms and inflammation, this aromatherapy oil can be made into a muscle rub and incorporated into self-massage techniques or added to Bath Salt blends to soothe pain and alleviate inflammation. Please keep in mind that is wise when using new oils to perform a skin patch test to rule out skin sensitivity or allergic reactions to oils never previously used.
One of the easiest methods of using essential oils for pain relief is topical application. This can be done by mixing a 3-5% dilution of Sore Muscles & Pain Ease directly into an unscented cream or by enriching it with pain-relieving carrier oils such as Hemp Seed oil, Grapeseed oil or an herb-infused anti-inflammatory carrier oil such as Arnica or Trauma oil. If you want a blend without the DIY project, find the roll-on version of this blend here.
Here is how to prepare it: place 18-30 drops of Sore Muscles & Pain Ease or other pain-specific essential oil blend for Massage into 1 oz of carrier oil mentioned above. Shake gently and massage the oil directly onto the area(s) of pain. Extend the healing power of these oils by applying a heating pad for 10 minutes over the area (more on this below.)
Another technique is to enjoy either a pain-relieving full-body bathtub immersion.
While the tub is filling up with warm, steamy water combine in a bowl:
- 2 cups of Epsom salt
- ½ c Baking Soda (to soften skin)
- ½ cup Castile soap
- 6 drops of Sore Muscles & Pain Ease essential oil blend
Swirl the salt blend into the bathtub and let it dissolve before climbing in and resting for at least 15 minutes with calming music. Bonus: The magnesium naturally found in the salts helps to relieve muscle pain further.
For foot pain relief, blend ½ cup of Epsom salt with ⅛ cup of Baking Soda and 2 tablespoons of Castile soap and add 6 drops of Sore Muscles & Pain Ease blend or another Edens Garden Massage blend of your choice. Soak your feet for 15 minutes and pat them dry afterward. You can also try out Edens Garden special selection of salt bath blends and read all about them here.
The Role Of Heating Pads For Restoration
Heating pads are an excellent combination therapy to enhance essential oils. Heat applications can be soothing, offer improved circulation and improve blood flow. This method also furthers the ability of essential oils to penetrate deeper into the skin and muscle tissue, providing more effective pain relief. Adding moist heat can even further comfort sore and painful areas. (17,18)
Following the directions above in massaging a diluted essential oil blend into a carrier oil of your choice, turn on your heating pad according to manufacturer instructions and at a safe and comfortable heat temperature. If interested, one added step is to apply moist heat by dampening a small towel and placing it on top of the essential oil application and then topping it with the heating pad. When all is arranged, sit or lie comfortably for 10-20 minutes. Be sure to turn off your heating pad after the session.
Note: Please follow the manufacturer's instructions and use a heating pad safely by avoiding prolonged or excessive application of heat to avoid burns or other skin issues. If any pain you experience remains or worsens, we recommend that you consult a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Holistic Wellness And Pain Relief
Relieving muscle soreness can be a wondrous and freeing moment for one's emotional and physical health. To decrease pain, one of the most tangible methods is to take your mind off of it and focus on one's strengths and the positive aspects of one’s life. We know that sometimes this is easier said than done, but take it slowly and be kind to yourself!
- Focus on Immediate Needs: This means spending the time necessary to recuperate and strengthen the mind and body. This renewed vitality creates a stronger self and imparts an air of positivity which lightens the mood.
- Distract Your Mind: Zero in on what interests you in the creative realm. Hobbies are a spectacular method and a form of art therapy - drawing, painting and even just crafting can relax the muscles, encourage Vagus Nerve activity and remove negative and repetitive thoughts.
- Balance & Strengthen: Keeping the body physically strong and the mind mentally prepared can be its own medicine for the soul. Try out different activities including yoga, pilates or long walks in nature (even through a city park). Embracing breathing and meditation techniques to calm the nervous system by stimulating the Vagus Nerve. (19,20,21)
- Laughter is Medicine - besides spending time socializing making sure there is laughter involved can be especially cathartic. And while you are at it, listen and sing along to your favorite songs for its own form of medicine.
A great deal of Edens Garden customers find Sore Muscles & Pain Ease to be a treasured blend not only for its uplifting, fresh and bright minty aroma but also as a go-to oil for releasing muscle and nervous tension at the end of the day. Blended into a carrier oil and massaged into the legs, it has been exalted for halting the discomfort of restless leg syndrome in its tracks (even at night) and easing chronic muscle, joint and headache pain by increasing circulation when it is applied.
Whatever massage or pain relief oil blend you try, note that Edens Gardens essential oils are pure, therapeutic and handcrafted. Compared to AromaTouch by doTERRA, Sore Muscles & Pain Ease essential oil blend is an affordable and equal alternative unless you consider the added cost that comes with the MLM structure of both doTERRA or Young Living oils.
- Muscle Pain Causes https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/muscle-pain/basics/causes/sym-20050866#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20causes%20of,infection%2C%20such%20as%20the%20flu
- Antispasmodic Effect of Essential Oils and their Constituents https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6539827/
- Anti-inflammatory Activity of Linalool and Linalyl Acetate https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12587692/
- Reducing Inflammation to Help Relieve Pain and Injury https://ace-pt.org/reducing-inflammation-to-help-relieve-pain-and-injury
- Oral Administration of d-Limonene Controls Inflammation in Rat Colitis and Displays Anti-inflammatory Properties as Diet Supplementation in Humans https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23665426/
- Anti-inflammatory, Immunomodulatory and Anti-oxidant Effects of Ocimum basilicum L. and its Main Constituents: A Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10237160/
- Ocimum basilicum leaf essential oil and (-)-linalool reduce orofacial nociception in rodents: a behavioral and electrophysiological approach https://www.scielo.br/j/rbfar/a/gD95nWjm8fJTxW7NqZvBqtL/?lang=en
- Analgesic Potential of Essential Oils https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6273222/
- Antinociceptive activity of Mentha Piperita Leaf https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3316159/
- Myorelaxant Activity of Essential Oil from Origanum Majorana https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874118319160
- Treating Back Pain and Inflammation with Essential Oils https://www.healthline.com/health/essential-oils-for-back-pain
- Essential Oils and Their Constituents as Skin Penetration Enhancers https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jphp.12334
- Bioactive compounds, pharmacological actions and pharmacokinetics of Cupressus sempervirens https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9898348/
- Boost Your Health with Essential Oils Rich in d-Limonene https://www.aromahead.com/blog/boost-your-health-with-citrus-oils
- Can Essential Oils Help Boost Your Immunity? https://www.healthline.com/health/essential-oils-for-immunity#essential-oils-and-immunity
- D-Limonene Modulates T-Lymphocyte Activity and Viability https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23059811/
- Heat Therapy Helps Relax Stiff Joints https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/managing-pain/pain-relief-solutions/heat-therapy-helps-relax-stiff-joints
- Ice Packs vs Warm Compresses for Pain https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/ice-packs-vs-warm-compresses-for-pain
- Taking Good Care of Yourself https://mhanational.org/taking-good-care-yourself#:~:text=Laughing%20decreases%20pain%2C%20may%20help,competence%20and%20many%20other%20benefits.
- Relaxation Techniques: Try These Steps to Reduce Stress https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/relaxation-technique/art-20045368
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/vagus-nerve-stimulation/about/pac-20384565