Top Essential Oils To Defend Against Free Radicals
A lot of attention has been paid recently to free radicals and their impact on our health and skin. Generated by pollution, dust, cigarette smoke, chemical insults and UV rays, free radicals attach to cells, causing oxidative damage.
For your skin, this means that free radicals can destroy collagen production, cause hyperpigmentation and damage elastic fibers. Interestingly, some free radicals are actually beneficial by acting as a natural weapon against bacteria. In other words, it’s important to strike a careful balance.
The good news is antioxidants can help prevent and reverse oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Your body naturally produces antioxidant molecular compounds to fight viruses and microbes. Many plant-based foods also produce antioxidants. While it is possible to overuse antioxidants, adding the compound to your skincare routine can have a beneficial effect.
Studies have shown that many essential oils have a very high antioxidant activity that helps neutralize the oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Because essential oils are incredibly concentrated, you only need to add a few drops to your skincare routine to see an impact. Our Age Defy synergy blend is a rich combination of essential oils balanced with antioxidants. It can help reduce inflammation while promoting radiant skin. To obtain its benefits, try making your very own Age Defy Face Toner or face steam.
To help you identify the antioxidant-rich essential oils that are right for you, here are our top picks of EOs to defend against free radicals.
- Blue Tansy: Steam distilled, Blue Tansy has long been associated with healthy, smooth skin. Studies have shown that Blue Tansy has some of the highest levels of antioxidants of all essential oils. Blue Tansy can also help reduce skin inflammation and promote hydration.
- Buddha Wood: Extracted through steam distillation, Buddha Wood is derived from the wood of a small tree found in the drylands of Southern Australia. According to recent research, Buddha Wood is a vigilant antioxidant that helps protect against damage caused by environmental pollution.
- Clove: Long used as a natural remedy, Clove essential oil has an array of diverse properties. High in eugenol, Clove is a powerful source of antioxidant compounds. It has also been shown to have multiple antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Laurel Leaf: In addition to promoting overall health, Laurel Leaf has been shown to improve oxidative stability while having an antimicrobial effect.
- Lavender: Perhaps the mightiest of essential oils, Lavender has a range of analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. By helping to improve overall health, Lavender supports the body’s natural healing process. Try adding our Lavender to our Essential Oil Lotion Bar DIY.